Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
monkeylizard

Dick's feels the pain

Recommended Posts

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dicks-says-under-armour-new-gun-sales-policy-dragged-on-results-1535565173

They're trying to pin it mostly on slipping Under Armor sales and say that hunting was a low-margin business and they're going to reclaim that space for higher-margin items like baseball equipment.

I think they're missing the point. I never once bought anything gun-related at Dick's. It was too expensive and there was never anyone around to get a box of said overpriced ammo out of the cage. But my wife and I used to buy some clothes there. After their gun-dump we stopped. Their anti-gun position didn't just remove low-margin hunting sales, it removed customers who buy other high-margin things too.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems they don't care until they start feeling the pain, and even then they will lay blame elsewhere...but we know.  I went in once, no twice, due to a gift card, and the prices on things I was interested kept me away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're dead to me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dicks-says-under-armour-new-gun-sales-policy-dragged-on-results-1535565173

They're trying to pin it mostly on slipping Under Armor sales and say that hunting was a low-margin business and they're going to reclaim that space for higher-margin items like baseball equipment.

I think they're missing the point. I never once bought anything gun-related at Dick's. It was too expensive and there was never anyone around to get a box of said overpriced ammo out of the cage. But my wife and I used to buy some clothes there. After their gun-dump we stopped. Their anti-gun position didn't just remove low-margin hunting sales, it removed customers who buy other high-margin things too.

Same here. I rarely bought anything gun related from them, but I did buy shoes, camping stuff, canoe stuff, golf stuff, bicycle stuff, baseball stuff, etc..  

Not anymore. Now I drive more than twice as far to Academy. Their prices are generally better anyway. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UnderArmor stock also got hit today due to the decline in sales at Dick’s, which Fox Business News correctly attributed to the decline in customers at Dick’s after many customers started boycotting Dick’s stores because of their gun sale policy changes. Hey, this is what happens when you act like Dick’s! 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

UnderArmor stock also got hit today due to the decline in sales at Dick’s, which Fox Business News correctly attributed to the decline in customers at Dick’s after many customers started boycotting Dick’s stores because of their gun sale policy changes. Hey, this is what happens when you act like Dick’s! 😉

Oh, they ticked off the hunting/shooting community as well..that didn't help.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/john-boch/armour-dumps-hunters-reaps-whirlwind/

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not smart to base your companies health on just one or two major brand or kick the folks who spend a lot of money in your stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grown ups buy guns.  The same grown ups also buy sports equipment for the kids and teens, and yes, now a days they also buy for the young adults.  Tick off the grown ups and quit selling guns while trying to make a political statement and they quit buying anything from you and go elsewhere that has a solid business plan that includes competitive pricing and customer service on quality products without political grandstanding.  Shoot, even I can see that one coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s the obsession with Dick’s around here?  They are not going to go out of business by not selling guns.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the name. They say it and giggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First Titled: Kohl's does what?

Kohls+Staples+Dicks.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

What’s the obsession with Dick’s around here?  They are not going to go out of business by not selling guns.

No, but if enough people who buy guns also buy other sporting goods and say "screw 'em" and take their sporting goods business elsewhere, then that hurts them in the general sporting goods market. Enough of that and they'll hurt pretty bad.

They're also losing market share to the down side to Academy and to the up side to specialty stores like REI, Edwin Watts, etc. They're in that middle that always gets squeezed when times get tough. If they can't make a ton of money in this booming economy though . . .

Edited by monkeylizard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope dicks stocks a large amount of nfl items.  Then I can avoid both at the same time.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dick's is too expensive. Here in Nashville, we have lots of other choices where we can buy goods at discounts:  Academy Sports and the various sports outlets at Opry Mills. I walk through Dick's a couple of times a year. I shake my head and leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed several years ago without ever walking into one of Dicks stores that there had to be something folks didn't like about Dicks. They has a store almost directly across the highway from Academy Sports at Rivergate. You look at the parking lots and Dicks may have 2 cars or Pick up trucks in their parking lot and Academy has 20 or more in theirs. That told me all I needed to know so I have never been in a Dicks Sporting Goods store and have zero plans of it in the future.............JMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be something said about being a dick. Dicks decided to dick around with patriots and got dicked in the end. I won't buy anything there. 

Quote

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yaknow, They could have publicly just said, "The guns and ammo sales aren't working for us, so we're going to phase them out of the stores." But instead they had to try and make a point and say, "Guns are evil and we hate them." The former would have accomplished the same thing without alienating a large portion of their customer base. We all know their prices were too high, and nobody would have given a second thought that they weren't making money on them, and getting rid of them was a good business decision.

What was it, the Vegas shooting that started all this for them? America has largely forgotten about that by now, but we have not forgotten that Dicks doesn't want our business.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t forgotten, Last week I passed up Dicks, which is 2 minutes from my house, and drove 20 minutes to Academy in Knoxville to spend $250 on shoes and another $150 for camping supplies.  I hope they continue to feel the pain of their decision.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 4:35 AM, analog_kidd said:

What was it, the Vegas shooting that started all this for them? America has largely forgotten about that by now, but we have not forgotten that Dicks doesn't want our business.

Dick's made the move following Sandy Hook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Academy Sports in Cookeville opens soon! What's their stance these days? I'm guessing they will sell firearms but what type I don't know.

I bought a Kayak in Oregon from them a few years ago. That store had no guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

 Academy Sports in Cookeville opens soon! What's their stance these days? I'm guessing they will sell firearms but what type I don't know.

I bought a Kayak in Oregon from them a few years ago. That store had no guns.

The store in Johnson City has guns. You can also order a bunch from the site to be shipped to the store too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines