Trunk gun

turkeydad

Greetings all,

I recently picked up a 11.5 inch AR braced pistol...I know perhaps the thread should be in the handgun section...but the question is more for long guns. 

I was planning to keep this in my trunk and I am currently running an Eotech on it. It gets pretty hot in there, other than battery life should I be concerned about some sort of other possible more catastrophic problem?

Any thoughts or experience on this subject.

Thanks

Put a thermometer in the trunk on a hot sunny day and see how high the temp gets. Bet it will not exceed the high operating temperature of 140F for the EOtech. Now in the Arizona desert it might be a concern. 

• Like 1

I once asked a co-worker who is a former Marine and was in Fallujah both times what was hotter. The 100+ dry heat in Iraq or the 90+ high humidity heat in the southern US. His answer.. Hot is Hot!

• Like 1

I dunno. I was stationed in Camp Lejeune it was always hot and nearing 100% humidity. We would frequently travel to The Desth Valley area and temps would exceed 110. I’d much rather take a blistering dry heat over a hot and humid. 

Also, you may be surprise how hot the trunk of your car gets when sitting in the sun. I think that’s why they say not to put your baby in the trunk (or something like that). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I have experienced the dry heat in Iraq,Kuwait and Saudi Arabia and the American Southwest. 
Stationed at Fort Irwin for a few years.  But when I arrived in lower Alabama in August, during my first p.t. run, I knew that was the most miserable heat of all! 

As far as Eotech the biggest concern I would have is the batteries failing from the heat or time. And also corrosion of the batteries if they fail. 
I had one that always seemed to have dead batteries when I wanted to shoot it and it was keep in ideal temperatures. 

Edited by TennesseeCamper
  • Like 1
On 8/5/2021 at 6:04 PM, Chucktshoes said:

I think it does. I can generally handle 100*in Phoenix better that 85* at home in Dyersburg. 

Same here! When I lived in Temecula, CA summer temps would regularly push in the high 100's and as long as you moved in and out of the shade, its comfortable enough not to die. 90 degrees here with our humidity makes me want to die when I am out doing my yard work. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, buck1032 said:

Same here! When I lived in Temecula, CA summer temps would regularly push in the high 100's and as long as you moved in and out of the shade, its comfortable enough not to die. 90 degrees here with our humidity makes me want to die when I am out doing my yard work. 😉 

Escondido checking in, lived there 34yrs 

• Like 1

I only lived in Temecula for for a few years, moved up there from South Bay, IB area. I was out there at the request of the USN. 🙂 I did 16 in the San Diego area and 4 in Hawaii. I was a member of South Bay Rod and Gun for much of the 90's.

In the same vein (absolutely no clue on the whatever sight thing...) I'll take -20 in Wyoming over 45° here any day. 

Everyone forgets that the hummids works at both ends of the thermometer! 

116 in Phoenix is an absolute pleasure, compared to 90 here! 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
14 minutes ago, Handsome Rob said:

In the same vein (absolutely no clue on the whatever sight thing...) I'll take -20 in Wyoming over 45° here any day. 

Everyone forgets that the hummids works at both ends of the thermometer! 

116 in Phoenix is an absolute pleasure, compared to 90 here! 

Wet equals miserable no matter what the temperature.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2021 at 5:09 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

what's a truck gun

Johnny Rotten, I'm an old codger, but in my early years, a truck gun was actually two guns, in a gun rack in the back window. One was usually a deer rifle, in our area, probably a Marlin .30-30 lever action and the other was a shotgun. The shotgun gauges ran the gambit, depending on what the owner was into. If he was a quail hunter, it could be a 12, 16, or 20 gauge. If he was a duck hunter, more than likely it would be a 12 gauge. Back in those days ('50s) not too many guns had 3" chambers. By the way, those trucks were hardly, if ever, locked... and many had the keys in the ignition. I don't recall any guns, or trucks for that matter, being stolen. Justice was swift and harsh in those days! Our state prison was "Angola", probably second only to Alkatrez (sp?) , the rock! Angola has it's on cemetery, right there on the prison grounds...and the prisoners work. They farm hundreds of acres of crops. Hardly worth it to steal a gun, or even a beat up farm truck! Watch the movie "Cool Hand Luke" with Paul Newman and you'll get an idea of what Angola is like.

• Like 3