Israel Attacked (This will be interesting...)

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, OMCHamlin said:

As I have said before, I'll say what I have to say. If that happens to earn me the ban hammer, then it does. I am more comfortable with walking away then holding my tongue out of fear. But I'll say this tonight, I'd have MUCH rather heard anything official about THIS thread from any other moderator.

@Chucktshoes just cares so much about the community he was the first to comment. The action was a consensus of behind the scenes discussions. 

Look back at these posts from the beginning. Second (and third) chances and hints were given but not appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 3

An interesting thread, informative in unexpected ways, it probably has ran (run?) its course. Perhaps we should get back to the safer waters of overpriced classifieds and funny pictures and videos.

2 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Wow, someone dropped the BanHammer

2 hours ago, OMCHamlin said:

I saw that.

59 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

@Chucktshoes just cares so much about the community he was the first to comment. The action was a consensus of behind the scenes discussions. 

Look back at these posts from the beginning. Second (and third) chances and hints were given but not appreciated. 

Kind of surprised me that it took as long as it did ...

• Like 3

I may be the odd man out, but I personally find the timing of the ban to be as much about a strong opinion opposite of those moderating.  I don't feel he was personally attacking anyone here.  David even mentioned just letting things go and letting everyone have a thick skin (paraphrasing).

I may not always agree with what he said, but the perception of the ban to me seems like retaliation.  Either let people have at it or just stop it all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I may be the odd man out, but I personally find the timing of the ban to be as much about a strong opinion opposite of those moderating.  I don't feel he was personally attacking anyone here.  David even mentioned just letting things go and letting everyone have a thick skin (paraphrasing).

I may not always agree with what he said, but the perception of the ban to me seems like retaliation.  Either let people have at it or just stop it all.

Nah, if that were true, we'd have to ban @Chucktshoes for that reason alone.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

Nah, if that were true, we'd have to ban @Chucktshoes for that reason alone.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Funny sidetone.  Look at who has the most likes recently (by a long shot).  Maybe says more about this forum than you would like to believe.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I have not had (or taken) the time to comment on this thread, but I have read every post, and I’ve learned a pretty good bit. 
These events, as horrific as they are (and are going to get worse), have made one thing glaringly clear, and that is how divided we really are. 

• Like 1

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the  Palestinians are considered trash by pretty much all other Arab/Muslim countries. Egypt shares a section of border with Gaza and they sealed it up tight years ago to keep the Palestinians out of their country.   I'm all in favor of opening an escape corridor so that any  Palestinian  who wants to can get out. The problem is that no other country in the region wants them. Even Iran, who helped finance and plan this attack doesn't want them. The  Palestinians have no place to go. Nobody wants them. Not even those who are supposed to be their own people.  

Secondly, "Truth is the first casualty of war." We don't have all the facts and we never will. Propaganda and disinformation are just as much weapons of war as a rifle. We're forming opinions based on what we're allowed to know. Bear that in mind. 

I do believe that Israel has a right to defend itself.  I probably won't like what's gonna happen, but I won't fault Israel for whatever they do. Things are gonna get real ugly, real quick. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

Funny sidetone.  Look at who has the most likes recently (by a long shot).  Maybe says more about this forum than you would like to believe.

It says to me that the more popular opinion doesn't matter if those in power want to silence you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the  Palestinians are considered trash by pretty much all other Arab/Muslim countries. Egypt shares a section of border with Gaza and they sealed it up tight years ago to keep the Palestinians out of their country.   

This has been the case with Egypt and Palestine since the beginning of time. Egypt has either dominated or tolerated Palestine.   I believe Palestinians were like today’s hippies. Early in their history, they never desired power or dominance over others.  They simply wanted to exist. That decision caused them to always be dominated by outsiders. 

I can’t express enough how saddened I am about what happened in Israel. No one deserves that.  Just when you think the world can’t get any worse, another crisis says “hold my beer.”  As I keep stating, Israel and Palestine deserve better. 

5 hours ago, Links2k said:

As I keep stating, Israel and Palestine deserve better. 

It looks like Palestine is about to get the best that Israel has to offer...  Early on, I opined that Israel was not actually going to do much of substance, but that does not appear to be the case, they are moving in that brief glimmer before public opinion shifts back towards that ridiculous "turn the other cheek" advice that countries that haven't just had the crap beat out of them emphatically offer to a country that just has...

9 hours ago, Hozzie said:

It unfortunately does. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

It unfortunately does. 

We are all entitled to our opinions, you included.   No one should be banned for it unless they start getting personal against others IMO.  All I am saying is in this scenario I didn't see that.   I don't know if he would come back or not, but personally sometimes we can own our mistakes and make them right.  I don't expect that is going to happen but felt it was important as a long time member to simply say I didn't agree with how it was handled.  Not my site, not my call so it is what it is.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 3
  • Administrator

@MacGyver, do you want to make any further statement about the recent banning?  I thought it was pretty clear where the gentleman went over the line with constant racist / xenophobic statements and you seemed to address that in your previous post before he was banned, but maybe I'm just assuming too much.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

The thread probably just needs to be killed off tbh. It's a gun forum after all. Sadly, we're not gonna solve the worlds problems and at this point, it seems we're just eating our own.

Actually, the funniest part; the post, calling for this discussion, heated though it is, to be closed was nominated for an award by an entity that could use less keystrokes to simply close the thread. I have called for as much, publicly and privately, yet here it is.  And in a way, maybe that’s a good quality in an imperfect board. Seems a trifle pathetic to have to choke off discussion of a history making subject. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, OMCHamlin said:

Seems a trifle pathetic to have to choke off discussion of a history making subject. 

This is exactly why I have chosen, to this point, to leave this conversation open.  I saw your private message urging me to close it down.  You either want full-on moderation and suppression of thought and opinion, or you don't.  We've tried walking the balance between the two and so far it's been a ####show.

• Admin Team
46 minutes ago, TGO David said:

@MacGyver, do you want to make any further statement about the recent banning?  I thought it was pretty clear where the gentleman went over the line with constant racist / xenophobic statements and you seemed to address that in your previous post before he was banned, but maybe I'm just assuming too much.

I'll make a couple of additional comments for context.

Rarely is a member here banned for a single comment.  It has happened in our history - but that's generally when someone doesn't have a history on TGO and it's clear that they're just here to be inflammatory.  Most bans have quite a deal of discussion behind the scenes amongst the moderating staff.  We currently have a staff that does a lot of work to keep from banning people.  If you've been on TGO for a long time - you'll note that you see far fewer actual bans today than in the past.  That's frankly because of mods like @Chucktshoes who are quite willing to disagree with folks - and who can keep their own opinion separate from the job they do here.  TGO is a better place because of it.

I made the decision to ban crc4  yesterday after discussion with the moderating team. It wasn't a single point issue.  He's been here for less than a year - and has had quite a few posts taken down.  His history is still here - you can probably go back and find a lot of it if you're so inclined.

If you're looking for where the moderating line is - we've got a code of conduct. Repeatedly posting things that are racist will put you over that line.  There are members in this thread who've posted things in the past that are over that line and have received warnings because of their history in this community.  We can't police what you believe.  But we can expect better in your rhetoric here - and those members have course corrected.

crc4 received those warnings, and did not course correct.  That's why he was ultimately booted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, OMCHamlin said:

Actually, the funniest part; the post, calling for this discussion, heated though it is, to be closed was nominated for an award by an entity that could use less keystrokes to simply close the thread. I have called for as much, publicly and privately, yet here it is.  And in a way, maybe that’s a good quality in an imperfect board. Seems a trifle pathetic to have to choke off discussion of a history making subject. 

I mean, I'm flattered they pinned me I suppose, but I didn't make the post for recognition. In fact, what I typed initially was a comment to another poster where I was going to pile on my opinion. Ultimately I sat back, thought about my words and realized that adding on wasn't going to accomplish a damn thing. So I went for the de-escalation route.

As far as the thread being locked...not my circus, not my monkeys, ya know? I'm just a dude with a login for a public forum. Noone of consequence.

• Moderators

I've advocated for keeping this thread open because it is an incredibly important topic. That said, and I tried to get @crc4 to take the hint, keep it on topic.

The topic is Israel and Gaza. I don't care about people crossing the southern border to loot, riot, and kill in American cities.

Most of us here are adults. We should be able to disagree all day with each other. For all I care, if @Chucktshoes wants to post about how the purple die in Crayola markers is turning your kids into hippopotamuses, just know he can do that. Disagree with each other all you want but keep it respectful.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I've advocated for keeping this thread open because it is an incredibly important topic. That said, and I tried to get @crc4 to take the hint, keep it on topic.

The topic is Israel and Gaza. I don't care about people crossing the southern border to loot, riot, and kill in American cities.

Most of us here are adults. We should be able to disagree all day with each other. For all I care, if @Chucktshoes wants to post about how the purple die in Crayola markers is turning your kids into hippopotamuses, just know he can do that. Disagree with each other all you want but keep it respectful.

I don’t know anything about the purple dye, but don’t get me started on micro plastics and seed oils. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1