Where do I go next?

Rainsford

Looking for a 9mm. Nothing too expensive. I’m bored with Glock right now (sorry Glock buds). Tried a CZ P-07 which was a solid gun but honestly the trigger was a bit too light for me for a defensive type gun, and hated that I couldn’t reach the slide release. I have the P320 I got from my buddy, and, while it’s a great gun, it feels like just another Glock to me.

Just not sure where this leaves me. FN? Canik? Smith and Wesson? HK? I enjoy drill type shooting with movement and holstering/unholstering.

Since you said defensive gun, Sig P365. Many others of similar size and build. While they can be used for drills or IDPA their usefulness is as a edc. I like the Hellcat as well.  Performs about same but has a much better front sight. 
Trigger of Hellcat is not as nice though  

jmo

CZ P-01 . It's DA/SA so you will have a heavier first trigger pull since you wanted a heavier trigger. The frame is aluminum which is light for carrying. Replacement parts and aftermarket parts and holsters are EVERYWHERE. If you decide that you dont want it then the resale value is extremely good. 

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

Great suggestions so far! Another consideration based on your "too light of a trigger" concern would be to get a used Sig Sauer in 9mm with the DAK trigger. Safe to carry, easy to shoot, & old school Sig quality. Just search "Sig, 9mm, DAK" on Gunbroker.com & see what comes up that appeals to you. P226? P229? P224?

Edited by Frog4aday

I'm going to toss in Springfield XD-E. I for one have not cared for the company for some time now, many reasons as to why, but anyways, a buddy of mine had one the other day, I've never seen or heard of one prior to the, and I bid you luck finding one (they're discontinued I've discovered.), it's a DA/SA, hammer fired XD, available in 3.3", 3.8", or 4.5", barrel lengths, his was a 3.3. He pinned my 10 inch gong at 70 yds first try of him shooting that far with that pistol. I was rather impressed. I shot a few rounds to the same success having never shot the firearm. It feels good in the hand, has a decocker function, along with manual safety, and it's obviously accurate.

6 hours ago, scatman said:

I'm going to toss in Springfield XD-E. I for one have not cared for the company for some time now, many reasons as to why, but anyways, a buddy of mine had one the other day, I've never seen or heard of one prior to the, and I bid you luck finding one (they're discontinued I've discovered.), it's a DA/SA, hammer fired XD, available in 3.3", 3.8", or 4.5", barrel lengths, his was a 3.3. He pinned my 10 inch gong at 70 yds first try of him shooting that far with that pistol. I was rather impressed. I shot a few rounds to the same success having never shot the firearm. It feels good in the hand, has a decocker function, along with manual safety, and it's obviously accurate.

It’s a bummer the discontinued them.  There’s definitely a lack of small da/sa options.  

On 10/24/2023 at 1:05 PM, TGO David said:

Steps to success:

1. Stick with the Glock

2. Buy a bunch of ammo

3. Go get a lot of good training

As David is implying..... firast stick with Glock and BE proficient with it in all aspects you train in. 

Then find a secondary unit of your choice and become proficient with it.

If you have accomplished the first, then a different secondary unit can come into play to train on....once noted difference are found between the two, you can figure out which is better suited to what task instead of a 1 for all type firearm..

Wise words:

Most all guns and trainning become just as boring as putting gas into your car unless you push yourself mentally and physically....that's the fun part. 

😉

OP said 9mm.  Someone else suggested 1911.  So how about a 1911 in 9mm?  OP said not too expensive, so not sure what kind of quality you could get in desired price range.  RIA makes several 1911s in 9mm which I would think are of decent quality.  (I have a RIA in 10mm which is a decent gun.)

• Like 1