Lightweight .22 recommendations

Thought I would toss this out for comments.....

I really enjoy target shooting with my .22's and have plenty to choose from my Winchester model 52 on down.  However, I have started carrying my rifles into the woods more just to shoot and all of my target rifles are a bit to heavy to carry and shoot off-hand.  They are wonderful on the bench but are like a telephone pole after a longer walk (I ain't as young as I used to be, ha).

Just wanted to hear some recommendations from the group of a good, lightweight, accurate .22 for carrying through the woods.

Thanks

Any number of the older Marlins. Bolt guns, semi-auto or single shots. All are excellent rifles. 

Ruger makes several models of the 10/22 with light synthetic stocks. 

Lots of possibilities, just look around.  😉

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Any number of the older Marlins. Bolt guns, semi-auto or single shots. All are excellent rifles. 

Ruger makes several models of the 10/22 with light synthetic stocks. 

Lots of possibilities, just look around.  😉

Actually, I think we are on the same wavelength as my first thought was the old Marlin model 60.  My dad had one back in the sixties and it was light, accurate and I believe held about 14 rounds.  Was tube fed.  

I'm gonna make this a fun project and beat the bushes a bit.  thanks.

It’s hard to beat a classic 10/22 in a hardwood stock for a woods gun. I just bought one and have a Leupold 4x28 coming in today to put on it. If you keep the scope light or run irons, it’s plenty light to haul around on a sling or in hand. Synthetic would be even lighter but loses that nostalgia for me. 

• Like 1

All good suggestions.  I tend to "warm up" to the wood stocks like Maroon and white mentioned.  I know the synthetics would be a bit lighter.  But, then again, a car engine block would be lighter than the Winnie 52 and 75 that I have been carrying. 😁

I'm gonna hit the pawn shops and gun shows for sure.

I would look for something like a CZ 452 American with the 16" threaded barrel.  Classic looks, good quality, light, and great feel.  Hard to find 452's sometimes, but they may be out there.   I use mine to plink off the porch all the time.   

Or if you have stupid money, a Winchester Model 52C Sporter (original of course :))

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

what about a CZ 457 youth model?  I got one for the kids that I eventually ended up putting an MDT chassis on and it is pretty lightweight and compact while also being a real tack driver.

I've got a few 22s a Ruger 10/22 I've also got an old Marlin model '99 and Browning BL22

I don't believe there's much weight difference between any of them The 1022 is great easy to get parts for if you're good with a 10 round magazine anything bigger than that hanging out is a bit of a pain

Now the old Marlin is a nice piece been in my family since the '60s it's longer than the other two and fairly accurate

The Browning BL22 is a vintage lever

So I've got experience with a few different 22 rifles but if you're looking for easy to modify find parts for and cheap you probably can't beat at 10/22

Edited by spdfrk70

If you run into a decent Winchester 190 you might consider it. 

16 rnd tube feeder and most like the Marlin 60, but not as popular. The lesser rep was probably due more to the fact that most ended up with loose barrel nuts that weren't tightened back down than any real functional difference.

8 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I would look for something like a CZ 452 American with the 16" threaded barrel.  Classic looks, good quality, light, and great feel.  Hard to find 452's sometimes, but they may be out there.   I use mine to plink off the porch all the time.   

Or if you have stupid money, a Winchester Model 52C Sporter (original of course :))

Well, what money I have is "stupid" money for sure, ha, ha.  But as I mentioned in my original post, I already have a Winchester 52 and a 75 which is almost on the same par, but those rifles are very heavy and not what I need for long walks and lots of off hand shooting.

I did find something today in a pawn shop.  It is a classic from Remington.  The model 512P Sportsman.  Bolt action and tube fed.  This one was made in 1946 and it fits all of the needs that I have.  While I have run some rounds through it, I have not sighted it in yet so I will need to get some time to do that and dial it in.  

Remington512P.jpg.222c219ec90b6b9a623a9a786366729e.jpg

• Like 5

I have an older wood stocked Marlin Mdl 60 that is light. Most probably killed around 900 nuance squirrels in the past 2 years. It is a tack drive scoped. I cannot shoot as well with irons anymore. Old eyes. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I have an older wood stocked Marlin Mdl 60 that is light. Most probably killed around 900 nuance squirrels in the past 2 years. It is a tack drive scoped. I cannot shoot as well with irons anymore. Old eyes. 

Yeah, those Marlin 60's are classics.  My dad had one and I gave it to my son.  Was originally looking for another one but saw this Remington and I had never owned one of those.

If you want even smaller/lighter, there's the Chiappa Little Badger. I have the .22 WMR version, but it comes in .22LR too. It's more accurate than me and the trigger is surprisingly good. More importantly, it's just simple and a ton of fun to shoot.

chiappa little badger.jpg

• Like 1

I have a CZ 455 that sounds like what you want.  It’s a shooter and it looks and carries like a first gen walnut/blue Ruger 77 that somebody threw on the copier and hit 80%.  I think I gave $400 for it new three or four years ago.  CZ replaced the 455 with the 457, but I assume they are similar size-wise.  

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

How about a 1910 Remington Model 12  I’ll weight it when I get home 

IMG_4298.thumb.jpeg.370bb8de580bb6710e2e60b08f9b6562.jpeg

Run some CCI Quiet 22 and it sounds like a pellet gun. 

I have a soft spot for pump action 22s. That is gorgeous!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1