What kind of holster for working outside?

I find it difficult to carry on my own property while I'm working, and I wonder what kind of holster those of you who are active at home prefer. I'm talking about getting on and off my tractor, running a chainsaw, dragging limbs around, digging a hole, stuff like that. It's pretty easy to carry when I'm not doing a lot of bending and lifting and such, but much a harder when I am.

I bought a belly-band, and that works pretty well, but it's awfully hot during the summer. I do like it, though, for wearing under by bib overalls, which is my normal outside work apparel.  I'd like something that will work well with a 1911.

My two big concerns are #1, that it secures my firearm. I don't want to drop a handgun in the muck without realizing it and then have to search for it. And #2, that it be comfortable when I'm doing all those kinds of things without interfering with the work at hand.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions!

I use a Desantis Thumbsnap Side Scabbard. Like you I prefer some type of retention strap. I also like a scabbard style as it holds the gun close to the body and keeps it from banging on everything while climbing on and off the tractor. Provides enough coverage to protect the gun and fairly reasonable price for a leather holster.

• Thanks 1
  • Moderators

My tastes in active retention holsters leans towards Safariland holsters with the indecipherable item numbers. 

Whatever you choose for active retention, just don’t get a Serpa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Are you planning on using a belt? I would look at Safariland ALS holsters if you want some form of retention without going overboard. The thumb release is pretty smooth to the draw stroke. I stay only with belt loops. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Pain103 said:

Are you planning on using a belt?

I'm usually wearing bib overalls when I work outside, so no belt. But during the summer I might be wearing shorts with a belt.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Darrell said:

I'm usually wearing bib overalls when I work outside, so no belt. But during the summer I might be wearing shorts with a belt.

Sounds like a shoulder or chest mounted holster is the way to go. 

• Like 4

I would look for a hunting style chest rig with a flap. would work equally well with shorts or over a shirt under the bib.

What do you typically carry when working your place? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, papa61 said:

What do you typically carry when working your place? 

I don't always carry, but I should.  When I carry here at home it's usually a .380, which fits into a pocket nicely. But it's not always easy to get it out of a pocket after working for a while. I've tried a 38 revolver in a shoulder rig, but didn't like the feel. I couldn't care less about being concealed on my own property.

I was leaning toward a chest rig before I asked the question, just to see what others here think. We seem to have a well-informed group, by and large. Thanks for your input.

4 hours ago, Darrell said:

I don't always carry, but I should.  When I carry here at home it's usually a .380, which fits into a pocket nicely. But it's not always easy to get it out of a pocket after working for a while. I've tried a 38 revolver in a shoulder rig, but didn't like the feel. I couldn't care less about being concealed on my own property.

I was leaning toward a chest rig before I asked the question, just to see what others here think. We seem to have a well-informed group, by and large. Thanks for your input.

I don't always carry when going back and forth to shop or garage but if I'm going to be there for a bit I usually have my 32 in a pocket holster. Have about 3 acres here and I always have it when out working or mowing. Figure 8 rounds will get me to the house.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Darrell said:

Isn't this a great group? It turns out that Papa61 makes holsters, and he's offered to custom make one for me. I'll post a pic or two when it's done. Thanks Papa61!

Couldn't find what I had in mind so...

My pleasure Darrell!

I know there are some mentions about chest or shoulder holsters but if I were going that route, I would go chest holster. I have a Gunfighters Inc chest holster issued for work and it is good quality wouldn't doubt it would hold up to chores, but I'm just set in my way of belt carry if possible. 

• Thanks 1

I have several holsters in process for my own use. Bought a new pattern for a shoulder rig but have yet to cut the leather. I too prefer belt carry but I have some heavier pistols that cause me to act like an overweight deputy in an old comedy. I quit with IWB when our fine legislators passed the no permit carry, not too worried about who sees what anymore. I have read that people either swear by or at shoulder rigs so we shall see which side I land on. Working especially outside lends well to chest carry, I used a GI tankers holster in the service and found it quite handy for keeping a 1911 accessible and still out of the way when climbing in and out of hatches and working in the field. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Seriously, for all day wear and work, a chest holster is incredibly comfortable. I used to tote around a Glock 20 in a Keni Gunfighter chest holster. Works well for both hunting applications and farm chores, its really out of the way and really accessible when you need it. Never had to worry about the gun banging on something or getting in the way on the tractor. Didn't make sitting or bending uncomfortable and it was easy to use any variety of tools with. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I understand the shortcomings of the serpa, But I think the situation of the OP is an exception to its use.  If doing tractor work etc, that’s what I use.  It is not a training holster nor for SD routine.  OK , blast/ roast away.

8 minutes ago, chances R said:

I understand the shortcomings of the serpa, But I think the situation of the OP is an exception to its use.  If doing tractor work etc, that’s what I use.  It is not a training holster nor for SD routine.  OK , blast/ roast away.

I want to say Blackhawk modified the Serpa design years ago and the release no longer lines up your finger over the trigger.  Hopefully they did.  Years ago I saw a guy ND with a Serpa and he put a hole in his pants near his hip and a second much longer hole/rip near his shin.  The bullet went into the ground an inch from his foot.  He bought some new pants on the way home to hide his adventures from his wife.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1