Best $14 hairscut I ever got.....Plus

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Late getting a haircut, usually every two weeks, been 6 weeks. Decided to look around since I have had the same barber now for 13 years in MS. Decided just to go to Sports cuts real quick since it was right across from Academy and I was already there.

First I got a haircut, a good one, same as my old barber charged way more for.

Then asked to come in the back, climbed into their leather chair, feet up on ottoman, hot towel over the face, washed hair, then hot towel switched with cold towel (Cold or hot either one you want), while cold towel is on, using some kind of stuff, scalp massage.

Once thats done, back to the front, back massage.when one of those hand held things (A good one)

$18

$14.40 with military ID.

Ill be using them from now on.

Ive been getting my hair cut at Sports Clips for a few months now.  Its one of the few places where a man's hair cut comes with a wash as well.  I dont like having to leave the barber and go straight home to wash all the hair off me.  Plus no matter which store I chose and which girl cuts my hair, its always pretty consistant. 

Guest Lester Weevils

Got a pretty good set of Andis electric animal clippers. Take off the guard and run it over my pate every week or two, not enough hair remaining to pinch, perfect! Better than shaved head, because if you shave it all off it looks weird after a few days and you have to keep doing it.

Edited by Lester Weevils

My Dad is a barber - so I'm accustomed to free haircuts. I went the clipper route after getting married for a couple of years; trimming it every three/four weeks. Whenever I was back in my hometown, it was back to Dad's shop for a cut.

For the last three years, I've been shaving my head two/three times a week. Headblade makes an awesome razor. It only takes a few minutes to shave in the shower. After about 4 days, the stubble gets a little long and its time to shave again.

• Like 1

Been going to the same barber shop for several years.  One barber is an older guy (which is saying a lot, considering my age), and the other barber is a younger female.  Both charge 8 bucks -- 50 cents for a haircut, $2.50 "finders fee" to locate my hair, and $5 to trim my eyebrows and ears ... ... ... I know ... ... disgusting, ain't it?

My Dad is a barber - so I'm accustomed to free haircuts. I went the clipper route after getting married for a couple of years; trimming it every three/four weeks. Whenever I was back in my hometown, it was back to Dad's shop for a cut.

For the last three years, I've been shaving my head two/three times a week. Headblade makes an awesome razor. It only takes a few minutes to shave in the shower. After about 4 days, the stubble gets a little long and its time to shave again.

The Headblade is awesome. I really like there line of care products for us bald ones.

Been going to the same barber anytime I was 9n leave for years and still use him now that Im out. He does a great cut, charges $8, uses a straight razor and hot lather on the back of the neck. His $6 straight razor and hot towel treatment is the only thing I miss about being clean shaven.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Guest Lester Weevils

What got me doing it myself-- Over the years gradually wanted it cut shorter and shorter, but the local establishments seemed to have some kind of phobia against just taking the guard off the clippers and mowing it all off. Maybe they were scared of a customer so treated being seen walking out of their establishment. Maybe they were scared that would run off business.

I'd ask em to skin it all off, then I'd have to explain, yes, that's exactly what I want. Then they wouldn't cut it much shorter than a half inch anyway after me explaining I wanted it skinned off.

So it got tiresome paying good money to NOT get what I wanted. They were nice folks in the local barbershops, but the electric clippers that are sold for dawgs and horses cut lots better than walmart electric clippers made for humans, and the clippers in my hands are not a-skeered of cutting it "too short".

I too use a traditional barber, high and tight with 000 on the sides, with straight razor and hot lather clean up.  There is always a gun trade going on, politics being discussed and/or other manly conversations occurring.  He charges $10. 

As I got older, I wanted my hair shorter and shorter and finally ended up with 1/2" cut which is pretty short, a #4 I believe.  One day, a couple of years or so ago, I was reading another gun forum and somehow a thread ended up on haircuts.  Kinda like this one. One person mentioned that they had picked up a Flowbee.... :stunned: :stunned: ....yes, I said a Flowbee....at a yard sale about 12 years before and that it was the best $10 he had ever spent...Well, my immediate thought  was :squint: , but I continued to read.....He had actually bought a new one, he said, since the old one finally bit the dirt after hundreds of excellent haircuts. He said it worked great and that he liked his hair short and only took him about 10 minutes to cut his hair. I guess he broke the ice because all of a sudden a bunch of these guys all fessed up to owning a Flowbee and all of them talked about "best money I've ever spent" and how they haven't paid for a haircut in years......Well, I bought one. YES I DID....I bought a Flowbee, but had to buy a new one since I don't do yard sales. I got one online and on sale for something like $60 or so delivered.  THEY WERE RIGHT.  The Flowbee has cut my hair perfectly and at the 1/2" mark now every week for about two years now. I just use my beard trimmer for around the ears and my neck and I'm done. The vacuum sucks up all the hair and you don't have a mess or have an itchy neck.  I did let my hair get way too long one time due to working OT and went and got a store bought $18 haircut and had to use the Flowbee to straighten the danged thing out. Even my wife says it cuts better those places do. I've probably used it around 60 times which has saved me over $1,000 or so in haircut money.  That's a couple of nice pistols, or an AR guys!!! LOL  I do think it would be a PITA for long hair though.

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I use some $30 do it yourself electric hair clipper set. I figure I've saved a bunch of ammo money. But no back massage...

Trained my wife to cut mine and my son's about 4 years ago with electric clippers.   Not only do we save $15 each every two to three weeks,  we don't have to waste time sitting in a shop waiting our turn, and I get to kiss the barber.

Set of adjustable clippers $20

Hand mirror $3

Knowing you can do it yourself anytime, while saving a ton of money =  Priceless

I used to always get my haircuts from my mom, beings she was a licensed cosmetologist. When she passed, it was a new experience for me looking for a reputable hair-cutter. I for a while would give my business to a friend who i used to work with and she is licensed and needed the money, but driving out her way was almost as much as the haircut.

I'll eventually get around to letting one of those professionals cut my hair again.

After the reality of spending upwards of $50/mo at the barber for me and my boys, I bought the wife an $80 set of clippers and said, "have at it."   That paid for itself pretty quick and no more waiting an hour or more for a haircut.  She does a pretty good job.  There's been a bit of a learning curve, but I've certainly gotten worse haircuts from someone who had a barber college certificate on the wall. 

My fiance is a licensed cosmetologist, was working in a salon but now works from home to watch our 9 month old daughter.
She has all of the professional grade supplies, so I haven't paid for a haircut in years. Saves me a lot of money vs going somewhere once a month.

I got 2-3 dollar military haircuts on base for most of my adult life til retired from the USAF...couldnt find a civilian barber who could do it right then found a "hairdresser" that well the haircut was ok I guess, but her fingernails scratching my head when she washed my hair, well THAT was priceless!!!  I followed her to 3 different shops before my hair finally got so gone it was hard to justify paying 20 bucks for a headwash, lmao.  Now  I just run a razor over it once a day and im good to go...sure do miss that girl tho...