Had to bite my tongue on this one....

So the other day I had a co-worker of mine walk by and see me looking at some 9mm ammo online. Then he stated that I should get a .40 because that's the best. He started rambling about this and that..blah... blah. Then he said that it's the best because the local Police use it. He said, " The PD uses .40 because it can shoot through an engine block and stop a car and a 9mm can't do that." And I had to just keep my mouth shut on at that point. Any further conversation would be useless! I don't dislike .40, just thought the whole engine block thing was hilarious!

• Like 4

I think if you research the 357Sig and why some PD have moved away from 40 to 357Sig, the engine block theory will be debunked.

BTW I did lose respect over 9mm based upon this story from Knoxville in 1995, I think this guy took 5 shots of 9mm by TBI agents and lived:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1842&dat=19940709&id=vgMiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7scEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6344,1082795

Edited by Runco

I don't argue too much about these things anymore. I was looking for ammo at Walmart one night and some guy started a conversation about wanting a KelTec shotgun but changed his mind because "00 buck would blow the gun up". He was so sure that he even convinced a couple of other guys that were buying ammo too. No need to argue with him, he was absolutely positive about it.

Wouldn't shooting the driver of the vehicle with a .40 technically stop the engine? Sure, you didn't shoot out the motor, but you got the person controlling it.

Not if they're driving an automatic and that foot never leaves the pedal it sure won't.

Everybody knows that the only caliber that real men carry is .45, God carries it too, in a 1911.  :ducking:

Sounds like my kind of guy then... Just don't want to find out too soon though! Bet he would carry a SIG P938 too....

Not if they're driving an automatic and that foot never leaves the pedal it sure won't.

Thats right, most people living in the US can't drive stick. But the same thing can be said if the round does go thru the engine. That alone will not stop the vehicle since inertial will still carry it over a distance. Albeit a much smaller one.

Guest TankerHC

A .45 won't shoot through a engine block. But it will cause the transmission to shift into Reverse and the throttle hang wide open.

It will shoot through an engine block, but only if it's a GM.