Which of these two ?

tercel89

Looking at which of these two would you guys choose and why ? 1. Springfield Armory 1911 .45acp plain jane version , like a Mil-Spec with no bells nor whistles 

2. Ruger SP101 .357mag 

I sacrificed two of my polymer guns to get the funds to get a good ole metal pistol for me and my son to shoot and last a lifetime. I narrowed it down to these two. I have owned them both in the past and both are built like a brick $hit house and tough as nails. Plus both are designs that go way back in time . The 1911 is over 100 years old and the revolver goes even further back , so both are proven designs still used today. I am presently reloading so these two will even support that hobby well. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and have watched the polymer/plastic guns arrive and I like them but I just want a good ole metal tank. So which one of the two I mentioned and why ? Thanks for the information . 

I personally like the Ruger route. First it is going to go bang EVERY time. Second you can shoot 38s out of it for plinking( I know that reloading takes out the cost factor) I love my wheel gun and if it were not for the weight of my wheel gun I would carry it all the time. I don't know the exact specs for the rounds 45 vs 357 but I am sure both will get the job done.
You say you want the gun to last a lifetime that would rule out the 1911. I say that due to the fact we all know about possible mag issues with any auto loader. The sp101 in 357mag is a proven man stopper and proven reliabilty. With that being said your question is like asking do I want to be on the top or the bottom when I have sex. Either way I'm sure you'll be happy it's just a matter of preference.

I'd say go with the Ruger but make it a GP100 instead of the SP101, much more comfortable to shoot, longer sight radius and holds six rounds instead of five. If you want to keep an old school appearance then go with a 3" or 4" fixed sight version. It might not be an old 38/44 or New Model Colt but its still a mighty good gun.  

I'd say go with the Ruger but make it a GP100 instead of the SP101, much more comfortable to shoot, longer sight radius and holds six rounds instead of five. If you want to keep an old school appearance then go with a 3" or 4" fixed sight version. It might not be an old 38/44 or New Model Colt but its still a mighty good gun.  

I have to agree that the GP100 is a better shooting platform. 

Edited by TnShooter83

Imho the COLT 1911 and its variants, of which the Springfield is one has been around 100 years and has worked. The reason for .38's and it's bigger brother 

was so anyone could shoot a hand held firearm. The .45 was considered somewhat intimidating to the average person and the main group that needed a sidearm 

was the Police. I'm certain they wanted a pistol that anyone could shoot and not be intimidated by.  The Colt 1892, .38's were used by the Military right up until the 

Philippine Insurrection when the locals got all hopped up on narcotics before they attacked. They found the .38's just didn't stop the attackers and many soldiers 

were killed. The military started looking for something that would actually stop a charging Moro. Enter the 1911 .45 ACP. They worked and have been working ever

since. 

It was simple once the .357 S&W Magnum was made to give people who liked the .38 but not it's so-so bullet to make the change. They could practice with 

.38's and carry with .357's. Besides, automatics were a lot more expensive to buy. Revolvers were guns for the masses. Wheel guns take a little bit more 

practice to master reloading. We went through 1000's of .38's and finally got the hang of speed reloading but the average shooter isn't Jerry Miculek.

To shorten a long story....

I prefer the 1911 for it's knock down power, easy reloads, slim and easy to conceal, ability to carry lots of mags for it and it holds 8 rounds in case you need them.

Don't get me wrong. I like wheel guns, too.

If I can find a nice carry holster for my Colt .45 (six gun) I'd carry that. I mean how many shots does it take to knock a bad guy down? My .45's will hit a silhouette

all day long at 50 yds. Think of that big slow bullet at 7 yds! Ouch!

Lp

Anything that starts with .41 on up works for me. 

Edited by Lowpower
Both are current production guns so they will probably depreciate or appreciate at about the same percentage. I am not a fan of the sp101, but it does the job. The Springer though may be the best 1911 for the money.

I am trying to not put down the Ruger since I admitt that I am biased to S&W. The sp101 has two weak areas to me: the ejector rod is to thin and flimsy and it is made out of cast stainless instead of being forged. Now, 99% of users will never notice this about the Rugers though. Edited by Patton
Buddy, that's a tough one to answer. I really believe both are great choices, and equally capable of meeting the needs you outlined.

In fact, I'm having a hard time deciding myself.

If this is not to be a carry gun, do upgrade to the GP100. Sight radius, better grip control, more rounds, etc. I have the SP101 and the GP100. Both have a purpose and serve it well. But as a range gun, I'd prefer the GP.

As for the Springer 1911m ore than adequate for either use. A bit large for my taste as a carry gun, plus I don't want a SA/DA for carry. But that's just me recognizing my limitations.

Now the 1911 is a fantastic range gun. How good it is and how good you and your son can be with it is almost limitless.

Plus, the mystique of the 1911, especially as a handed down keepsake or gift is just awesome.

So I guess I give the 1911 a slight edge in this poll.

Two very very different firearms.. I'm not big into the wheel gun realm so I'm going with the 1911. I enjoy shooting revolvers from time to time but to me there isn't a comparison but that could be due to me being a bit younger than others that have commented. I love shooting the 1911 platform, there is just something that feels right about them. I carry a polymer gun because of the extra capacity but if I had to choose based on how it shoots I would have to go 1911. I hope you get the lifetime of enjoyment out of whichever you choose! good luck.

RUGER GP100, no magazines to keep up with, no failures to feed... can shoot 357 mag or 38 special...  can be used for home defense, vehicle defense, concealed carry, trail gun or even for hunting (if need be)...   easy to clean and maintain...  what else do you need?

There was an interesting comment you made in your post. You said that you had owned both in the past. Unless there was a financial reason to sell, I find that telling that you must have not been that fond of them in the past. I'd say get the one you miss the most but as others have said I'd get the GP100 over the SP101 unless it's going to be carried.

Go with the Ruger SP101 in .357mag, for now.  And start saving your money to get a 1911.  The SP101 is built like a tank and utterly reliable.  As mentioned in a prior post, you can also shoot .38spl in it.  .38s are half the cost of .45acp, which translates into more range time, better shooting skills and more fun! :)  Plus they are great for carry and self defense. I do recommend a good holster for them, though.  I also recommend a 3" barrel, if you can find it. I'm not sure how old your son is, but he also may find the SP101 a bit easier to shoot, from a recoil stand point as well.

Springfields are great, pistols!  I know this, because I own a Loaded Version in Stainless Steel!  But, if you are wanting a plain jane mil spec one, I would look at the Rock Island Armory.  You can use the savings to purchase ammunition for it.  1911s are really fun pistols to shoot and there are lots of after market upgrades you can do to them.  If you like to tinker around, that makes them uber sexy.  The .45acp is a great round for self defense too, and the 1911 carries flat against your body, but it's also heavy and sometimes it's not real fun to carry.  If you have your heart set on a 1911, I would recommend a Commander version, with the 4 1/2" barrel.  It's a 1/2" shorter and a bit lighter.  Lighter is better when it comes to carry pistols, IMO. RIA makes the 1911 in 3 sizes, Government (5" barrel), Commander (4 1/2" barrel) and Officer (3.5" barrel).

All the ballyhoo around the U.S. Army changing from .38 to .45 had to do with the .38 S&W  and .38 Colt guns. Both rounds were anemic and not very effective. The army also didn't go direct to the 1911 platform It reissued old cavalry Colt Army Model revolvers. The modern .38 Special is a totally different round (especially in +P) and is an effective round.