Got let go from work

RC3

Saw this coming from a mile way. Was planning on placing my resignation on Thursday to give them two weeks to hire a semi decent replacement. Well they beat me to the punch. Where not too happy when I outline the faults with the management and the awful record of employment selection. But now they have their wish with getting rid of the last original.  Good thing I have another opportunity lined up, and am grateful for it.  But I cannot wait to walk in there tomorrow, drop off my shirts and walk out with my binder full of sales leads and plans.  And when they ask me "whats in there and what are you taking", I will tell new the "manager" my sales and customers that will not be going to your store.

Oddly enough. I feel great. I never said no, covered shifts at locations that where over 100 miles round trip and havent had a vacation in three years. Hell, I will go shooting tomorrow to celebrate. And enjoy my last day of fall break.

• Like 4

Saw this coming from a mile way. Was planning on placing my resignation on Thursday to give them two weeks to hire a semi decent replacement. Well they beat me to the punch. Where not too happy when I outline the faults with the management and the awful record of employment selection. But now they have their wish with getting rid of the last original.  Good thing I have another opportunity lined up, and am grateful for it.  But I cannot wait to walk in there tomorrow, drop off my shirts and walk out with my binder full of sales leads and plans.  And when they ask me "whats in there and what are you taking", I will tell new the "manager" my sales and customers that will not be going to your store.

Oddly enough. I feel great. I never said no, covered shifts at locations that where over 100 miles round trip and havent had a vacation in three years. Hell, I will go shooting tomorrow to celebrate. And enjoy my last day of fall break.

Glad you have a backup plan.  A lot of people would be in trouble in the same situation.  The most sage advice I ever received was "the best time to look for a job is when you have one," and it seems like you had that in mind.

Just be careful with what you try to walk out with.  A lot of places have it built into the employee agreement that whatever you do/develop/invent for the company or on the job is no longer your stuff but their property. 

• Like 1

Glad you have a backup plan.  A lot of people would be in trouble in the same situation.  The most sage advice I ever received was "the best time to look for a job is when you have one," and it seems like you had that in mind.

Just be careful with what you try to walk out with.  A lot of places have it built into the employee agreement that whatever you do/develop/invent for the company or on the job is no longer your stuff but their property. 

Yes most sales oriented positions will restrict the removal of any documents, paper or electronic, by refusing you access till it's checked.

Not saying that will happen, but it is a possibility.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Yes most sales oriented positions will restrict the removal of any documents, paper or electronic, by refusing you access till it's checked.

Not saying that will happen, but it is a possibility.

Sounds like you made a good move, I will bet my last dollar you wont leave with that list and what not.

Which reinforces that some things, perhaps, should be scanned and kept digitally before you need them.
  • Like 1

Well I guess the best time to get let go is when you are about to turn in your notice! What do you sell?

I worked for a non sprint owned store.

Keep your cool, and keep your mouth shut. (you don't work for them anymore)

And don't be surprised if you are prevented from accessing your <former> office.

I kept my cool. I wanted to make heads spin (glad I developed amazing self control over the years from dealing with people). But I honestly doubt they are going to do anything at all. They can try, but the sheer level of incompetence from the management is astounding. No bags for two weeks, cheap on the security system (it is working half way and they wont pay to fix it), laughable hiring track record. Understaffed, having out commissions cut. Honestly felt like working for congress. Just somehow worse.  Saw many good people get fired and pushed out because someone who cant direct anything, things he knows how to run the world.

A crappy as it sounds to get fired it is better than resigning. At least now you can get benefits you would not be eligible for had you resigned. Matter of fact I would go apply to make sure you don't have too hard of a hardship during this time.

terminated vs fired "with cause".

Terminated = possible benefits.

Fired with cause .... probably not.

Any doubt, see a attorney real quick.  There are several clocks started already.

Edited by R_Bert

Any doubt, see a attorney real quick.  There are several clocks started already.

Hmmm. Pretty sure attorney costs would eat into that $275/week max UI benny. I'd wait to see if your employer contests your claim. If they do, file an appeal. Often employers don't show up and the appeal is won by default. And if they do show, and prevail, likely having an attorney wouldn't have netted you much gain any way. Likely they won't even contest your discharge claim.

Hmmm. Pretty sure attorney costs would eat into that $275/week max UI benny. I'd wait to see if your employer contests your claim. If they do, file an appeal. Often employers don't show up and the appeal is won by default. And if they do show, and prevail, likely having an attorney wouldn't have netted you much gain any way. Likely they won't even contest your discharge claim.

The way I understood the OP, he already has another job lined up that he's ready to step in to. Sounds like he'll be sitting at a new desk and be drawing paychecks before the first UI check would ever show up so I'm guessing that he won't be going through to much trouble to collect a few days or possibly weeks worth of UI.

• Like 1

not picking but why is seeing a lawyer a fast option?

Sounds to me Dude works at an auto parts store or something.  Not a life long career and the departure is satisfying to everyone involved.

Just saying...

In TN you can be canned for much of any or no cause at all.  You can collect unemployment.  Life goes on.

I got canned a couple of years ago.  Came out of left field.  I sort of laughed when it happened.   I was lucky to have another place to apply to. Missed one day of pay in the big picture.

In the big picture things could not be better.

One door closes, another door opens.  Or some such....

• Like 2

not picking but why is seeing a lawyer a fast option?

Sounds to me Dude works at an auto parts store or something. Not a life long career and the departure is satisfying to everyone involved.

Just saying...

In TN you can be canned for much of any or no cause at all. You can collect unemployment. Life goes on.

I got canned a couple of years ago. Came out of left field. I sort of laughed when it happened. I was lucky to have another place to apply to. Missed one day of pay in the big picture.

In the big picture things could not be better.

One door closes, another door opens. Or some such....

Collecting unemployment is not automatically guaranteed.

As stated - "if in doubt".

That is not inferring or encouraging legal as first recourse, but there are short statutes of limitation on applying recourse at all.

And... know the laws, or find someone who does. Edited by R_Bert

Collecting unemployment is not automatically guaranteed.

Nor is it automatically warranted. Sounds like the gentleman that started this thread has new employment lined up anyway and didn't plan on filing for unemployment.

How sad is it that our society has been conditioned that if you lose your job you have to immediately jump at the chance for "free government money" and lawyer up if you think they'll make it difficult to get your handout? :(
  • Like 1

Sales leads, documents etc. are the property of the employer. Yes they can prohibit you from taking them and if they don’t at the time, can sue you later for taking them. What they can’t take is intellectual property (memory of customers names, numbers, technology you utilized etc).

I doubt it would go this far but I would refrain from taking documents from them.

Same thing happened to me in 2010. Thirty-five years of service, department lead and spotless employment record. The company was sold to an international wide company just to absorb its assets and clients. Once done they set about eliminating as many employees as possible. Same day I got axed, they let three other twenty-five years plus employees go. They eliminated the people who built the company and kept the ones who only show up for the paycheck.

I wish them a quick trip to HELL.

Sort of an off-shoot, but hypothetically speaking, someone I may have known years back knew the day they were going to quit, so that morning they shredded every document, form and memo within 10 feet of their office. Typed up a resignation letter and walked out.

A few days later other people quit because it was such a mess and the business called back offering a huge pay increase to come back. Best thing that guy ever done was walk out the door and never look back :)

Back to the OP, I don't know your specific circumstances, but am thinking that you should've taken that info with you. Have never seen a place that will let you in to claim property after you've been let go. Especially when the business took the preemptive action. Edited by Sam1

Similar thing happened to my wife at USXPRESS. 10 years of help desk supervisor and everybody knew who to call when something went wrong. Even Max (Big Shot) called her personally for any problems he had, yet 2 weeks from her 10 year anniversary, they cut 25 peoples jobs. All with almost 10years in. She would have gotten 4 weeks paid vacation and a raise. The place is a real PI$$ Hole as far as how they treat employees.