Keurig - If you don't have one, you need one!

PackinMama

A Keurig was in every office and command post when I was in Afghanistan for a year.  Some broke, some didn't.  Some guys had the k-cups, others had their preferred brands in the special adapter cups.  Some guys swore by them, others swore at them. 

In the end, it's just another way to make coffee.  A new idea here, a new feature there, it's all about getting you to buy a new product to do the same thing you've done for years.  When they figure out a way to have an iced coffee with flavor mixed in come out of the spout, I'll be impressed.  I hate having to either do all that myself or get some at Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts.

I will say this just because I thought that it was funny.  My father in law was visiting and brought us the reusable basket for the Keurig.  I was getting ready to make my coffee to put in a thermos for work and he's going on about how quick he can use the Keurig to make a cup of coffee for me to go.  I usually make 8 cups because that is what the thermos holds.  While he is trying to make me a cup to go I go ahead and make 10 cups.  I was able to make a cup with the coffee maker before he did with the Keurig.   

Guess I'm the oddball, I had one and gave it away. Making a large cup of coffee just resulted in it being watered down....

No not really... We have a Bunn and that's what makes the wife happy.... I drink whatever I find as I've worked on boats/ships all my adult life and there is always a pot on the burner....

Edited by teecro
  • Like 1

No not really... We have a Bunn and that's what makes the wife happy.... I drink whatever I find as I've worked on boats/ships all my adult life and there is always a pot on the burner....

Boat coffee????? Pretty close to Gun Smoke Coffee huh!!!!!!

• Like 2

I have had a Keurig for about a year now, and I love it!  It really makes some delicious coffee.  My favorites are the Van Houtte Mexico dark roast, and the Dunkin Donuts dark roast.  I really wish it would make a larger cup sometimes, so I may have to upgrade to the new 2.0 system in the future.

• Like 1
Bought my inlaws one last year because they usually have one cup of coffee per day. Saw the different coco mixes available and bought one for my wife.

We set it up. Read the instructions. Then repacked it and took it back. Far easier to use the 20 buck electric water heating pot and
whatever mix we want.

Just our opinion.

I guess my only concern is that they are typically made of aluminum. Now, I'm not one to worry about most things but I believe aluminmum has been shown have a link to alhzheimers.

Other than that, can you go into more detail about your experience with them?

Bought my first one when I was in the Navy stationed in Italy. Real simple to use, fill the bottom with water up to the bottom of the relief plug , and the basket with espresso coffee and screw the top on. Then simply place it on the stove, remove when it stops perking. Good stuff and so easy even I can do it. No alum. taste either. Never seen one made from anything but alum.

Edited by bigun
  • Moderators

Bought my first one when I was in the Navy stationed in Italy. Real simple to use, fill the bottom with water up to the bottom of the relief plug , and the basket with espresso coffee and screw the top on. Then simply place it on the stove, remove when it stops perking. Good stuff and so easy even I can do it. No alum. taste either. Never seen one made from anything but alum.

How "dirty" is the cup? My wife wants an Aeropress or a Chemex because they are supposed to be "smooth" and "clean" without any of the grind passing through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CZ9MM
No coffee drinkers here but my wife is a hot tea fiend...

However, as much as my wife likes it if it breaks and you can only buy the 2.0 version it will be the only one we own. She's just too frugal to buy only Kreurig brand tea... Edited by Mark A

How "dirty" is the cup? My wife wants an Aeropress or a Chemex because they are supposed to be "smooth" and "clean" without any of the grind passing through.

That's where the rubber meets the road it seems. Anything with a paper filter even that little disk in the Aeropress will not only keep the cup "clean" it will also remove all the oils. I put up with the silty "dirt" in the bottom of my cup to keep from losing the oils and flavors, but I do like the smoothness of a pour-over or a chemex.

A Keurig was in every office and command post when I was in Afghanistan for a year. Some broke, some didn't. Some guys had the k-cups, others had their preferred brands in the special adapter cups. Some guys swore by them, others swore at them.

In the end, it's just another way to make coffee. A new idea here, a new feature there, it's all about getting you to buy a new product to do the same thing you've done for years. When they figure out a way to have an iced coffee with flavor mixed in come out of the spout, I'll be impressed. I hate having to either do all that myself or get some at Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts.

I've seen more than a few Kuerigs get smoked downrange by guys plugging them into 220 power.

I've had two Kuerigs for 4-5 years. They do need to be serviced every now and then. Keeping them clean in the cup area is important if you want to keep the grounds out of your coffee. The only problem I've had with mine are grounds that get sucked up into the tubes through the needle spigot. Too easy to clean those out. I disconnect the hose from the spigot, use a paperclip to get all the grounds out, then run a few cycles of water through it until everything is clear. Do this once or twice a year and it should do fine.

I'm a big fan because my wife and I have different tastes in coffee, and she usually makes hot chocolate with it in the winter. I go on Amazon and purchase K-cups in bulk when there is a sale going. You can get it cheaper that way instead of going to the store.

• Like 1

I've seen more than a few Kuerigs get smoked downrange by guys plugging them into 220 power.

That's always fun to see.  Back in 2007, our BN TOC got in a brand new coffee maker to replace the aged silver bullet.  It was one of those models that has a warmer on top, so you can brew a second pot and still keep another one warm...the kind you see at Waffle House.  Long story short, that new coffee maker lasted all of 15 minutes out of the box before one of the Joe's plugged it straight into the 220 strip, not the converter box.

Our S-3 NCOIC was pissed.

Very little of the grid passes through. if either of you like cappacino  just heat your milk in a pan and whisk if you like foam. Sprinkle on some course ground choc. and it will be like a trip to Italy. haha

I have one of these but generally it's too much faffing about

41RRhLDlNxL.jpg

And despite the claims of the foodie who recommended it to me, it doesn't really taste any better than a French Press. Cool to see in action though.

I have one too. Best cup ever comes outta that chemistry experiment. Think I'll go fix one now...