Finding a handgun in the bathroom

FortKnox

On the flip side what would you guys do if you suddenly realized that you left your sidearm in a public restroom?

I know this happened to a member here. I will not mention names but he left a Sig 938 in a public restroom when they were as rare as hens teeth. Luckily someone turned it into the clerk and he was able to retrieve it.

• Moderators
This thread reminds me why I leave it in its holster still attached to my pants. Of course, my pants don't drop all the way to the floor either. I keep them up around the calves because I don't want my pants laying on a public restroom floor collecting who knows what. Ewwwwww!
  • Like 1
I would go back to the location, if it wasn't there ask person in charge if there is a person in charge at the location. Then if not found at the location call the local police and explain what happened. If they have no knowledge of the gun report it lost & stolen or go to the station and pick up the gun. Edited by Joe357

On the flip side what would you guys do if you suddenly realized that you left your sidearm in a public restroom?

I know this happened to a member here. I will not mention names but he left a Sig 938 in a public restroom when they were as rare as hens teeth. Luckily someone turned it into the clerk and he was able to retrieve it.

I would ban myself from ever carrying a gun again. But my immediate reaction I suppose would be to get with management and see if any significant items had recently been turned in, then I suppose I would notify police and report the gun stolen.

It seems pretty simple to me, or maybe I just am. I might hang around with it for a few min, just to see if person shows up and can tell me zactly what it is, but if not:

- call cops, they'll almost certainly pick it up

- tell whoever's in charge of store that's where it went so can tell owner if he comes back and looks for it

- unload and keep ammo as finder's fee :)

- OS

This is the correct answer.

I'm half joking and half serious but, I just can't excuse someone who leaves a loaded gun in the bathroom. It's not like your wallet or keys, which I would turn in but, something that can cause serious trouble if found by the wrong person.

Who says it up to you, (or xjsnake, or anyone else for that matter), to excuse anything someone else does that you are not involved in? Self-righteous much?

I forgot my gun in the bathroom once when I was new to carrying. I was traveling up to Indiana when I experienced an emergency call of nature outside of Louisville so I stopped in the nearest gas station. I carry a Taurus slim 9 in my back pocket, and I took it out so as to not drop it in the toilet as I dropped my drawers, but when it's in place I don't even feel it there most times. The only place to put it was on a black plastic box that was away from the toilet. Black plastic gun on a black plastic box is not a good combination. When I got up I didn't have the visual or tactile reminders to retrieve the gun, so I left without it. As soon as I got on the entrance ramp next to the gas station, (<1 minute I'd guess since I was in a hurry), I realized that I didn't have my gun, but, unfortunately, there was nowhere to turn around for over 6 miles. By the time I traveled the 13 miles back to the store someone had found it and turned it in to the clerk who called the police. I felt like crap, but I waited for the police to arrive, explained what happened, apologized profusely, and showed them my HCP. The officer gave me my gun and I was on my way. I was lucky a kid didn't shoot their self with it, but I was also lucky someone didn't use the circumstance to justify stealing the gun from me.

As a former LEO I know of many times where other officers have walked out of the bathroom without their entire gun belt.

• Like 2
I can't think of any reason to place your gun where it will be forgotten in a public restroom. Pants go down, pistol goes in the pant leg. If I were to lay it on top of anything, it's just a matter of time until I forget it. I may be more scatterbrained than average, but this happens way too often.

I doubt that almost any gun found in a restroom would be a crime gun. Most likely a forgetful carrier. Nonetheless, my conscience wouldn't let me just take it. Given the opportunity I may give the person who left it a mini lecture about how it almost became a birthday present to myself.

I can't believe no one has gotten this right yet.  The answer is scavenger hunt.  Most guns can be taken apart into 5 - 10 major pieces.  

If this ever happens to you, you must understand that you only have moments to act.  Be swift!  The person who left the gun will be coming back any minute.  You need to finish your business ASAP and get out of the bathroom with most of the weapon in you possession.  Attach a note with your drop phone, phone number and wait for the call.  Realize the person on the other end of the phone is going to be very upset and might argue with you when you give them the 10 digit grid or lat/long of the next piece their weapon.  If they are too angry to record the number I recommend texting it to them.  They aren't going to the police, they aren't telling anyone.  You want the locations you pick for their gun parts to be fun, yet challenging.  Remember you are trying to change this person forever to ensure they don't do this sort of thing ever again.   

Examples of good hiding spots include;

Inside anything with wasps or thorns or both.

Tall places such as radio antennas.

Under heavy things like big rocks or junk cars.

Underwater is always a classic, especially if the water is cold or swamp-like.

Middle of nowhere like a corn field in Kansas.  

There really is no wrong place to hide a gun part from someone who left their gun in a bathroom.  Use your creativity and if possible video tape the last piece being retrieved.  However, avoid in person contact with the guy or gal that just recently reacquainted with their complete firearm as they are likely to be sorta mad at you.  

When sitting on the commode, if there is some concern that your firearm will slip out of your pocket, etc. then by leaving your pants up around your knees or so you have a very convenient place to put the gun - cradled in the crotch area of your pants.  That way it won't be forgotten in the restroom and it is ready at hand on the off chance an assailant tries to literally catch you with your pants down.  I mean, there are situations in which a person is more vulnerable than that but maybe not too many.

Edited by JAB

Who says it up to you, (or xjsnake, or anyone else for that matter), to excuse anything someone else does that you are not involved in? Self-righteous much?

I forgot my gun in the bathroom once when I was new to carrying. I was traveling up to Indiana when I experienced an emergency call of nature outside of Louisville so I stopped in the nearest gas station. I carry a Taurus slim 9 in my back pocket, and I took it out so as to not drop it in the toilet as I dropped my drawers, but when it's in place I don't even feel it there most times. The only place to put it was on a black plastic box that was away from the toilet. Black plastic gun on a black plastic box is not a good combination. When I got up I didn't have the visual or tactile reminders to retrieve the gun, so I left without it. As soon as I got on the entrance ramp next to the gas station, (<1 minute I'd guess since I was in a hurry), I realized that I didn't have my gun, but, unfortunately, there was nowhere to turn around for over 6 miles. By the time I traveled the 13 miles back to the store someone had found it and turned it in to the clerk who called the police. I felt like crap, but I waited for the police to arrive, explained what happened, apologized profusely, and showed them my HCP. The officer gave me my gun and I was on my way. I was lucky a kid didn't shoot their self with it, but I was also lucky someone didn't use the circumstance to justify stealing the gun from me.

As a former LEO I know of many times where other officers have walked out of the bathroom without their entire gun belt.

No I'm not self righteous I just can't excuse or see how anyone can leave a gun in a public place like that. Just like I can't see how anyone can forget a child or pet in a hot car.

And as for cops leaving the gun belts they should face the same punishments as us civilians that leave guns in public places. Edited by FortKnox
  • Like 2

No I'm not self righteous I just can't excuse or see how anyone can leave a gun in a public place like that. Just like I can't see how anyone can forget a child or pet in a hot car.

And as for cops leaving the gun belts they should face the same punishments as us civilians that leave guns in public places.

And as for cops leaving the gun belts they should face the same punishments as us civilians that leave guns in public places.

What punishment has ever been dealt out for a legally packing civilian losing his gun, in public place or anywhere else?

- OS

If you have a HCP and leave a gun in a public place which is recovered by the police you'll probably just end up being embarrassed and happy to have it back. If it was in a prohibited location where you could be charged then you might be charged. If someone is injured by your handgun then your going to have civil charges and possibly a reckless endangerment charge.
If a police officer leaves their gun behind in a public or public acesesable bathroom they will at the very least end up with a career damaging written reprimand and remedial training, but more then likely they'll be suspended and have remedial training. I've known officers to be fired for leaving their gun behind in a bathroom, particularly if someone thinks that found gun should be there's because "finders keepers".
So tell me who's going to come out of a stupid mistake like leaving a gun behind in a bathroom again? Oh yeah, the police officer can also face civil litigation should someone be injured by the gun they left behind. All in all I think not touching the gun and letting the police handle its the better choice. I've also never known a police officer who wouldn't be pissed off enough at another officers foolishness to let them get away without disciplinary action.

And if you do this in the future you'll just man-up and come clean on this forum, right?

As others mentioned there is no punishment for civilians unless someone gets hurt.

On another topic, what can you do to avoid this happening in the first place?

First, I customize my IWB and OWB holsters so the weapon will not fall out even if held upside down. Second, I only pocket carry with a holster that has been modified to stay in the pocket unless a concerted effort is made to remove it. 

• Like 1

First, I customize my IWB and OWB holsters so the weapon will not fall out even if held upside down. Second, I only pocket carry with a holster that has been modified to stay in the pocket unless a concerted effort is made to remove it. 

My IWB always stays upright attached to belt when I drop trou down around ankles,  and my pocket carry has no trouble staying in pocket when doing that either, with no special retaining features on either holster. Though I've seldom carried that way, same with OWB. I've never needed to remove my heater to lay somewhere when dump time called.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

My IWB always stays upright attached to belt when I drop trou down around ankles,  and my pocket carry has no trouble staying in pocket when doing that either, with no special retaining features on either holster. Though I've seldom carried that way, same with OWB. I've never needed to remove my heater to lay somewhere when dump time called.

- OS

This was my point above. You can't leave the gun somewhere by accident if you don't take it out in the first place. Having to remove the gun when you chop some butt wood makes forgetting it somewhere possible in the first place that wouldn't be if it stayed in its holster. I don't think folks give enough thought about what to do with their gun when they squeeze out a Lincoln when choosing their method of carry. The time to ask yourself what you will do with your gun when making a grunt sculpture is before you pick out your holster. I know I would find it difficult to pump a clump of dump out of my rump if I was worried about my gun while I was helping the groundhog find his shadow.

:poop:

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3

Take a ride with your friendly local beat cop on a Friday or Saturday night and the reasons for these things will be made abundantly clear to you.  Promise.

• Like 1

This was my point above. You can't leave the gun somewhere by accident if you don't take it out in the first place. Having to remove the gun when you chop some butt wood makes forgetting it somewhere possible in the first place that wouldn't be if it stayed in its holster. I don't think folks give enough thought about what to do with their gun when they squeeze out a Lincoln when choosing their method of carry. The time to ask yourself what you will do with your gun when making a grunt sculpture is before you pick out your holster. I know I would find it difficult to pump a clump of dump out of my rump if I was worried about my gun while I was helping the groundhog find his shadow.

:poop:

Sheer poetry. ;)

- OS

• Like 4
I don't have this problem, unless it's a freakin emergency, I won't use a public restroom. I've (for the most part) trained my body to go in the morning or wait until I'm back home. I have worked all day, drank 6 to 8 bottles of water, and not even stopped to take a whiz until I get home.

I guess I can thank my dad for part of this. He would get in the car and only stop for gas, if you had to go between times you'd better hold it or use a bottle (and that ain't easy in the back of a car) .

I would not in any way touch it. I would call police and tell them what I have found and request that they come and handle it. If anyone used it in a crime or murdered someone I damn sure don't want my prints any where near it............jmho