Tables to mount a press on ?

I've been reloading a few years now and have my press and powder measure are mounted and bolted onto my dining room table. It sounds funny but we never eat at that table and it's just a place to put things on and holds groceries and things. We are now moving into a different house and I'll finally have a garage to myself. I am trying to find a small table or something that doesn't take up much room to mount my press and powder measure on. The garage isn't very big , just enough to hold 2 cars but I want something easy to move but stable enough to use the press. My press is a single-stage press so it's not huge. Do you fellas have any good ideas or is there something out there made for what I just described ? I'd like it kinda small but stable enough for me to pull down on my press handle and the table still be nice and stable. Any ideas and information is appreciated. 

• Administrator

I just built a table frame out of 2x4 lumber, put a 3/4" thick plywood top on it, and then put a cheap countertop with backsplash from Lowes on top of that.  I drilled through the countertop and plywood, ran my bolts for the press through it, and voila.  Rock steady.

You can tie that to the wall in the garage with some long decking screws or lag bolts and it absolutely won't rock or tilt while you're cranking away on the press.

The backsplash on the countertop keeps primers and casings from rolling off the back of the table, too.

• Like 2

I used this with 2 single stage LEE presses mounted on opposite sides for years.  I don't load the big magnum cases, 6mmbr is the largest, but I've never had an issue with stability, etc.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-reloading-stand?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas|Shopping|PMax|CatchAll|General|NAud|High|NMT&&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItKO_g8fjgAMV1s3CBB3YLQpNEAQYBSABEgIR6fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

wait for free shipping if possible as it's on the heavy side but still easy to move/slide around.  I leave mine set up in my cave all the time but it slides easy on the area rug. 

If it needs to be able to move, one of the tool chests from harbor freight would work.  Put a double layer of 3/4” plywood on top and put your supplies in it.   Bolt the press though the top.  That being said, immovable is always better than movable if any loading for accuracy is involved. 

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

They make some folding hinges that you could mount across a couple studs and get some collapsible legs and you could build yourself a pretty solid bench that you could fold out of the way when not in use.  I used some to build a miter saw stand a few years ago and it has held up pretty well.  Could use 3/4" plywood as the top and build some shoes with bolts to mount your press to the top if you were still worried about it.

1 hour ago, tercel89 said:

Thanks for all the ideas guys. It's a new house and at this minute I don't want to start drilling things into the walls. So that's why I'm trying to keep it mobile like a table.  

I moved into a new construction in 2021. Took a week to start hanging storage rail on the garage walls.  Just do it!

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

I moved into a new construction in 2021. Took a week to start hanging storage rail on the garage walls.  Just do it!

LOL . I'm just nervous I guess. Heck I was even nervous to lean my fishing poles against the sheetrock walls. 

• Haha 1

Look at this kit. You can spec the size you want. You supply the lumber. I have an old countertop for the top of mine.

2x4basics 90164MI Custom Work Bench and Shelving Storage System, Black

https://amzn.to/45sxBHS

I actually have a single stage I was using to deprime bolted to a board and c clamped to a bar stool kinda like this right now. Push it into the corner when I am done. Used a similar set up for a small vice to hold things I was filing a while back. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

You could achieve similar with this bench grinder stand

https://amzn.to/3qJIuGy

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2023 at 9:26 PM, tercel89 said:

LOL . I'm just nervous I guess. Heck I was even nervous to lean my fishing poles against the sheetrock walls. 

Dad and I built a bunch of wall shelves and a work bench in my garage before we moved in.  It's way easier before it's full of stuff. I can assure you the garage will be full of stuff (not cars) for a while after you move. 🙂

My bench is similar to David's except I used cabinet drawers under the counter top. I got the cheap white stuff at Lowes and it works fine. It's reinforced with plywood under the counter top. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I have a grinder stand like the one shown above and it's not the worst thing I can think of to mount a press to.   But it's not the most stable once dynamic forces come into play since it has a 3-legged base.   I think the Workmate folding bench (or a knock-off) is a great idea.  They have a broad, stable foundation once deployed and there is room for a loading block or brass container next to it.   And it folds up when you don't need it.

To piggyback on what slickrick said, one of my workbenches is a folding banquet table (think church dinner) sitting on top of a couple secondhand Steelcase office drawers that I picked up at a used office furniture store.  I don't have it attached to the drawers but it would be trivial to put a few self tapping sheet metal screws into it if necessary.

Edited by ken_mays

When my wife and I first setup house in 1995 we bout a dirt cheap table w/ 4 chairs at Rose's in M'boro for $88. I've disassembled/assembled it 4 or 5 times when we moved. Funny think is it's sturdy as a brick bat bolted to my garage wall w/ L-brackets and 4" lag bolts. I think any solid wood table would work if properly anchored to the wall though.

What did you go with?  

when we moved well over a decade ago we purged a lot of things until we found a new place.  picked up several desk drawer/supports- old thicker metal.  Some scrap 2x and casters I slapped this together with intension to upgrade. Lots of component spillover but I still load here and roll away.  Handle on one side, back has Texas corner style, top has overhang on one side for single stage with 550b in middle.  Bottom drawers bullets in use so heavy, but solid I don’t bother to lock casters. About $40 bucks in it without adding other project leftover lumber/glue/screws/finish coat 

image0.jpeg

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, ohell said:

What did you go with?  

when we moved well over a decade ago we purged a lot of things until we found a new place.  picked up several desk drawer/supports- old thicker metal.  Some scrap 2x and casters I slapped this together with intension to upgrade. Lots of component spillover but I still load here and roll away.  Handle on one side, back has Texas corner style, top has overhang on one side for single stage with 550b in middle.  Bottom drawers bullets in use so heavy, but solid I don’t bother to lock casters. About $40 bucks in it without adding other project leftover lumber/glue/screws/finish coat 

image0.jpeg

Nice set up. 

I re-purposed some kitchen cabinets removed from an older home into work benches but mine do not look as good as yours.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 8:16 PM, slickrick0999 said:

I have always heard the black & decker workmates make a good portable reloading bench.   I have never used that setup myself. 

I've been using mine for over 10 years.  The B&D is not as sturdy as the big benches, but gets the job done for small lots of 100 cartridges or less without wearing you out.  Of course, you gotta have an accessory table nearby to hold the accessory equipment such as powder measures and trays, but it's satisfactory for those who don't have lots of space to work in. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Mine is a 12X26X31" shop cart. 3/4" plywood added to the bottom frame, pistol lock box added for storage, shelves on the side. The top is 2 layers of 3/4" plywood. Lee O frame mounted to the right. Lee powder measure mounted at the left. Lee bench mount primer behind it. Lee C frame mounted on the left end. Can roll it to any room in the house and fits all chairs.

A 15" wide desk cabinet, shortened with casters added. Counter top flush on front, 3/4" overhand on sides, a bit more on the rear. Door and drawer on front for storage, Lee Loadmaster mounted on the rear, Lee C frame mounted on a side.

• 2 weeks later...

My son sent me a marketplace ad link. Metal carts $35. Some have casters on corners and some Uboat style. Some have drawers, doors or shelves. They are at Holiday Lodge on Sardis Lake, MS. I sent a message for best time to see them.

I got a cart just like the tool box I had at work. 27" wide, 48" long. Double doors, shelves behind one and drawers behind the other with 4" casters for $50. I'll add 3/4" plywood to the top for another reloading bench. It's in between chair and stool height, see which one I want to modify. Most likely a chair so I'll have arm and backrest. My son got the other one to use in his garage for tools.