Old Age isn’t for Sissies

Well, turned 69 last month.  Last few years have faced some health issues, and as a result of some of them, docs have been adjusting my meds.  Long story short, some of these adjustments have resulted in dizziness snd falls, which aren’t fun for anyone, but especially  not fun for seniors, LOL. Anyway, Monday morning I got up from my chair to go to the bathroom, had a dizziness issue and was out before I hit the ground.  I woke up and asked my wife where I was, I had no clue.  She had to call 911  to get me to the ER.   I couldn’t use my left leg at all due to pain in knee and excruciating pain in ankle.  Eventually get to ER at Skyline in Madison,nowhere I was treated very very well and professionally by all of the medical staff.  Turns out I broke 3 bones in my ankle and tore the miniscus in my knee in two or three places.  Had surgery last night to install a plate and pins/screws.  The dr and staff  in surgery were great, The nurses and staff up here in the floor have been awesome.  My nurse today, who I won’t name, was especially awesome all day.  He is a German  immigrant, he’s the kind of immigrant that built this country.  Wish we could get more like him here.  Anyway, I guess I won’t  be shooting for a shill.  I’ve 4-6 weeks of not shooting , followed by a lot of pt. 

IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0355.jpeg

• Sad 6
  • Wow 2

OW!!!!!!!!!  Those of us who have survived over 6 decades know how you feel. I hate going under the knife and hate when they add stuff not in the original design. I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery but cold weather is really going to suck now. OW!!!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I turned 67 on groundhogs day. I’ve dislocated both shoulders, broke left arm twice, skin graft on left hand from a fight with a FedEx conveyor belt, bone spur on left knee, gall bladder tried to kill me and was removed, 1 ruptured disk and 1 slipped disk and heart attack requiring 2 stints. Other than these minor issues I’m in pretty good shape. BS.  If I were a horse they would have shot me years ago. 

Hope you’re on the mend! 

“ Getting old ain’t for sissies. “

• Like 7

Hope you have a speedy recovery, and all is well at the end.

I'm 68, and yesterday I was messing around with the boat and the safety chains since I've got a new TV, just part of it.  I spent about 15-20 minutes on my knees adjusting the length of the chains so they would not drag on the road.  Last night my thighs felt like I had just hiked up a rocky mountain.  LOL.  Goes to show me how out of shape I am.  

• Like 1

Defender rough trip for sure. Hope things get better for you. Dealing with shoulder surgery last Monday myself. Just turned 76. No, it is not for sissies. 

Edited to add; Just prayed for you brother. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 3

that's scary stuff. God bless. I'm right with y'all having multiple surgeries, not fun at all. The only upside is my family gets lots of laughs while I'm medicated. 
yeah, the plates and screws know when the weather is turning bad.

• Like 2

Buddy, prayers for your recovery! 

Recently turned 72. It sucks. Last few months really sucked! Pneumonia, RSV, Sepsis. Skyline. Life Care Rehab. Home Health and people who know what's better for you than you or your doctors do.

Be careful and do the rehab work. Keep us informed. At least we can laugh at each other!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Authorized Vendor

Nearly 75 myself and while staying active every day has it's challenges I'll still pleased to be on the right side of the grass. Get well soon and be careful out there.

• Like 4

I'm 64 and was healthy as a horse up to 62.  The last two years have been quite the challenge.  Thankful to be here.  I wish you all the best and a successful recovery.

• Like 4

Prayers for an uneventful and speedy recovery!

I'm 70 and just had the cast removed from my ankle surgery a couple of days ago. Got me some spanking new titanium anchor and tendons/ligaments reattached. Rocking a classy robo-boot that looks like something out of a transformer movie 😳

My home looks like a well armed and fortified nursing home LOL.

The most frustrating part is not being able to go to the range. My buds keep sending me video clips of them shooting steel setups at ORSA. You would think they'd have the decency to keep that to themselves. 🤣

Aging has it challenges no doubt. Best wishes to all in this boat. It's been a fun ride!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As the old saying goes, "Show pictures or it didn't happen."  You sure made yourself believable, @Defender  I've got a plate and some screws in my right ankle from an old tib-fracture, but that's penny-ante compared to your hardware.  I pray that God gets you back on your feet in record time.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Snaveba said:

I feel like a youngun around here (I’ll be 55 on the 28th). Hope you heal quickly. 

Just look at all you have to look forward to😃

Healthy as a horse until June of '22.  Routine chest x-ray showed "something to be checked".  CT scan showed "something to be checked", and subsequent biopsy showed stage 3 non-small cell lung cancer of the upper right lung. Surgery to remove most of the right lung two weeks later (fun) that resulted in Radiculopthy of upper right quadrant of chest and  right arm, still present. and can't breath for $hit.  Challenge to keep 02 above 90 with any sort of activity.  Chemotherapy that resulted in tinnitus of the left ear for life, 30 days of radiation that resulted in calcification advancement of the coronary artery to 70 %, then 12 months of immunotherapy infusions that just ended in Dec 23.  Hoping that the side effects, fatigue-rashes-itching etc. of the immunotherapy wear off as i get further away from the treatments.  Last CT scan I had showed "No recurrence of disease".  Next CT scheduled for early April, fingers crossed. (Prayers much appreciated) Still working but I don't know for how long, I'm tired. In spite of it all, I wake up every morning and thank God for the wake up.

I can relate.

Edited by tacops
  • Like 2