"What are you so afraid of that you have to carry a gun?"

Simply put? The answer above. or simply answer, "nothing". :-) or answer, "the reaction to fear is fight or flight. When I carry I keep both those options." Edited by Smith
  • Like 4

Well, I've never been asked that before. I assume that it's because I'm 6'4", 275 lbs, and have a look about me that I don't entertain fools lightly. But if I was asked this question I would answer with something along the lines of, "I have a hammer just in case that I need to hammer a nail...does that make me afraid of a nail?"

• Like 3
not fear, as much as overwhelming intervention if necessary in order to protect myself and family. But just in my little hometown we have Bloods & Crips, Aryan Nation, methheads, and pillbillys, all which hit the news outlets more frequently than I prefer.

Of course, a lot of folks around here had Chris Newsom as their motorcycle mechanic (I was one of those), so they understand. Edited by R_Bert

I'm not afraid of much, and don't have to carry a gun. I like guns, and therefore,. I am likely to have one with me.

None of your business is another valid answer.

I don't usually tell people I carry, so the conversation rarely comes up.

• Like 4

I'd like to say: "I'm a free citizen. Fear is immaterial to my right to carry a weapon."

That being said, "free citizen" is an inaccurate exaggeration. When I have to pay almost $200 for a carry permit and class combined, then take the time to get fingerprinted, and wait for the government to process my request for more freedom....

Still need to find the time and money so I can buy a little more freedom....

Edited by Ted S.
  • Like 2

No one ever asks me this.  They know people hate lawyers.  Especially their husband or wife's divorce attorney.  

It's just to bad I've been doing this just long enough that I've forgotten how to do any honest work.... 

• Like 3

I have heard that stuff before.  I usually say "Why not?" Then we get into a discussion about guns and safety. I had a guy tell me "I have a Black Belt and I don't need a gun to protect myself."  One thing I learned earning my black belt was, that belt won't keep you from getting whipped much less shot.  I have been whipped by a white belt, they forgot to tell him he wasn't supposed to beat up the instructor. The kid was a boxer. He was so fast! In Tae Kwon Do we were taught to block punches a boxer dodges punches. I'm getting off topic..................

"Because a policeman is too heavy to carry."

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 1
[quote name="daddyo" post="1157669" timestamp="1402517243"]How do you answer this question when confronted by one of the hoplophobes?[/quote] I've often wondered the same thing. I've never been asked directly, but it has come up with my in laws when I wasn't around. I know it is a question that pants wetters like to bring up, but I've never been able to think of an answer that would make them understand how irrational that train of thought is. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a girl in MI come up behind me in a rural area convenience store an ask if I thought it was safe for me to carry my 1911 in a pancake thumb break OWB with untucked shirt. She ask if it would be a good scuffle if she tried to take it away. I tried really hard not to sound like a smart ass when I told her she would have to kill me. She was about 5'9" 150lb and I am 6'2" 260. How do you think that was going to work out. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

I've often wondered the same thing. I've never been asked directly, but it has come up with my in laws when I wasn't around. I know it is a question that pants wetters like to bring up, but I've never been able to think of an answer that would make them understand how irrational that train of thought is. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hence my previous answer.  I'm tired of trying to explain things to stupid people who will never get it anyway.

[quote name="10-Ring" post="1157731" timestamp="1402523676"]Hence my previous answer. I'm tired of trying to explain things to stupid people who will never get it anyway.[/quote] I'd like to educate if I can. It's just hard to empathize with irrational people and explain things in a way that makes sense to them. When my wife and I were getting married her family came down to Tennessee (she's a Yankee). There were several firearms in the apartment and my wife had to move some because there were kids coming over. Her aunt saw the firearms and literally cried. I don't know how to explain things to people like that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2