Mourning the loss of one of our own. Hunter Harris.

• Administrator

I despise making this post.  I am heartbroken and have tears in my eyes as I type it.  Just a few moments ago I learned that one of our former moderators, a good friend of mine, and one of the genuinely nicest human beings I have had the pleasure to know, has passed away.

Hunter Harris was a fixture on TGO several years ago before moving to Oklahoma to continue pursuit of his Doctorate degree.  He and I met here on TGO and fast became friends.  He served as a Range Safety Officer at the now-defunct Owl Hollow Gun Club, and helped RSO quite a few of our early TGO meet and greets at that range.

After relocating to the Stillwater, OK area he discovered an outlet for his true calling in life -- to help other people -- by joining the local volunteer fire department.  I am frequently skeptical of the people who flock to those jobs to satisfy their own egos or need for attention, but I knew that if anyone was doing it for the right reason it was Hunter.  He had a passion for people.  He had an insatiable, burning desire to make other people's lives better and had worked tirelessly toward that goal as a corporate Human Resources executive.  When he told me he was leaving that world and the world of teaching Human Resources classes as a college professor behind, to fight fires and rescue people, I knew that it was because that was just what Hunter needed to do.  He was the consummate servant-leader.

Hunter was only 37 years old.  He leaves behind a wonderful wife, Kelly, and their two small children.  Please pray for his family.

Hunter, I'll see you again one of these days my friend.  Until then the world will be a slightly darker place without your light shining here.  Rest easy.

• Like 1
Hunter will be missed even more now. I shot with him at several TGO range trips to Owl Hollow, when TGO was in its infancy. I took too long of an absence from here... Missed too much. I always enjoyed interacting with HunterH, he was a great fellow and we were lucky to have him as part of TGO.

Your wife and kids and whole family are in my prayers... Rest in peace sir.

Sounds like a man I would have enjoyed meeting and getting to know. Prayers go out to Hunter and his family. Anyone we lose in life always seems to go before their time but when GOD finds a need for you he calls you up and age is a matter for man but not for GODS. He has his reasons and I am sure he had one for Hunter..............Prayers sent

• Like 1
Wow. Sadness. Yes, I believe that God is in control and works all things together for the good of those who serve Him. That does not negate the fact that we will experience and endure terrible events hardships like Hunter's family and close friends are going through now.

I remember Hunter from the OHGC meets, too. I remember one time, he had his M1A there, set up at the 100yd lanes. His father had recently passed away. The ammo he was shooting was reloaded match ammo his father had made. I didn't know that at first. I am very unexperienced with long guns. I looked at his gun, asked a few (probably terribly stupid) questions and within seconds he had me at the bench, rifle on my shoulder, sending rounds downrange. I fired 4 or 5 rounds and was very appreciative. I was going to stop shooting, ya know, how we do when we want to be respectful of another dude's ammo supply/expense. He wouldn't have any of it... he could see I was having a great time. I mentioned something to the effect of "this ammo must be realy expensive, I don't wanna shoot it all up!"

Previous to this meet, Hunter had shared on the forum about his Dad's passing. He replied that this was ammo his Dad had made years ago, so it didn't cost him anything. That REALLY hit me. I got quiet, and he just smiled and said "He'd want us to shoot it!" and plopped two more loaded mags on the bench right in front of me. They must have kicked up some onion dust at that moment or something... I nodded, loaded a mag, and fired them in respect, reverence, and humility that Hunter would share all that with a complete stranger like me.

I'll be praying for Kelly and the kids. And I will try to be more thankful for what I have, and for my wife. She is not a touchy-feely person at all, but she's going to be held a little longer and a little closer tonight.
  • Like 2
I never knew when I paid way too much for that first dog of a gun years ago that the hobby would bring such rich experience to my life, in so many ways. Eddie, you are a part of that, too.

Also, I still have and cherish that Mosin M44. :-)
  • Like 1
Guest Lowbuster
Hunter sounds like a true man at heart. My condolences to all affected by his passing.
From the love he is getting here, I wish I knew him.
Prayers sent
Yep, a Jennings/Bryce 9 is all it took for me... I'm here. And I know all too well the value of this brotherhood in dark times.

James, Todd, David, Shannon, Elliot, Dan, Mike, Joe, Julia... and so many others. I can't thank you enough for literally saving my life.