Considering a small SUV-AWD

TNWNGR

I'm doing my research and due dilligance on a pending small SUV/AWD vehicle. Currently I'm looking seriously at the Subaru Forester and Ford Edge. With those selections you can pretty well determine the price range I'm leaning towards. The four-cylinder engine in the Subaru kind of concerns me but it does have pretty good HP.  I  generally look first at slightly used vehicles but have sometimes purchased year end models when the price was right. Do any of you have recommendations?

• Like 1

We have a 2013 Ford Edge that is just 2wd. I do like it with the 6 cyl engine but the gas mileage sucks. I get 19-20 on the hwy.Travels and rides great plenty of room and easy for us to get in/out of. We are both seniors and wifey is handicapped.

I have heard great things about the Forester from friends in Michigan that own one and they love it. As I am a Ford guy I am kinda partial to them.

Good Luck,

Jim

Edge is a nice ride, can't say anything to the subaru but a coworker had an ecoboost edge and it would haul pretty good.  I had a ford escape hybrid for work, drove the hell out of it for 5 years and it never once blinked with an issue & got 30-40 around town and 30+ on the interstate.  Between the battery and motor when accelerating, it felt like a strong v6.  If I was personally in the market for a small SUV I would pick up a used escape hybrid without hesitation.

I have a cousin in Michigan. He's owned a Subaru as long as I can remember. But he just traded in his Forester because of the issues he was having with it. Apparently it was burning a quart of oil a month and that was "normal". I'm also pretty sure there's a class action going on because of it. Do some research on Subaru Oil Consumption Lawsuit. I know it is only certain models in certain years.

Ford guy here. So I will obviously say the Edge.

Also the whole lower cylinder count being less powerful is a myth. Modern four cylinders regularly make over 200HP and are very fuel efficient. For reference the Ford Mustang GT in 1988 made 237HP out of a 5.0L V8.

When you throw in technology like direct injection, variable cam timing and old tech that is being advanced, like turbos, the V8 is an relic of another time. Even Ford is going to the Ecoboost Cyclone V6 in its halo cars and trucks.

I love the rumble of a V8, so don't take me as some tree hugging hippy or something like that. But I love power and speed as much as technology and economy.

The standard of the future will be a minimum of 50HP+ per cylinder that is square or near it at half a liter per slug. They will be fours and sixes. With whistling snails.

/soapbox

I had a forester and while it was a good car I won't buy another. I'm a big guy 6'4" 270lb and it was uncomfortable on long trips. It was also a bit noisy. It was great in snow and confidence inspiring to drive. Power was ok, I never felt like it wouldn't do what was needed.

I have rented several Edges for work only one awd that I drove in bad weather (snow in MN) and it was fine. Over all more comfortable, more spacious and plenty of power as well.
I had a 2013 ford escape with the turbo 1.6L. AWD. I really didn't like it at all. It didn't have any power above 60 and my best average was 23-24mpg. I never once saw over 26. The bigger 4cyl may have been better. I traded it for a Jeep grand Cherokee. It better fits my needs and gets 21mpg with AWD and 3.6 v6.

Have you considered a regular Cherokee? It's my understanding they are getting good mileage and are pretty nice vehicles.
My wife traded in her Camry last year for a Venza. It's all wheel drive and does very well. Lots of room. She loves it.

I think it's a good solid vehicle but I hate it....too many gotdang buttons and gizmos. But then, I'm kinda backwards like that.
Subaru. I had a WRX and loved mine. Granted it was a very tuned up turbo flat-4, but both the 4 and 6 cylinder naturally aspirated boxer motors have good torque, which is way more important to the butt dyno than horsepower. Also, there awd system is second to none and the cars are hammer tough for the most part. The guy who leases the fields behind our house uses a Subaru outback for his field car to check cattle etc, and I've never seen it stuck with good tires on it.

Sent from behind the anvil

Go test drive a few. Subaru does AWD better than anyone and our 2005 Baja has a turbo 2.5 four cylinder engine that's got more power than I expected. It's never left me wanting more, but they have a 6 cylinder if you do. They redesigned the interiors sometime around '08-10 and made them much bigger inside. 

Seems like everybody has a Subaru out here. They're excellent cars in winter weather. 

I had a 3.5 EcoBoost in my work truck, it seemed like a good engine. Felt like it had more power than the Chevy 6.0 I have now. 

I have a 13 Subaru Crosstrek. 30+ hwy, AWD. Best car I've bought so far. The interior makes sense, easy no nonsense controls etc. I don't ever worry about snow or ice in it.

Until ford fixes their 6 speed transmissions I won't buy another. Our 13 fusion was complete junk, the 12 I shouldn't have sold.

A Subaru rear ended me Friday on the way to work, Driver had a case of what I like to call Subris.(excessive pride or confidence in a Subaru's abilities) Not sure I could say that a Ford would have stopped, but I'd put money on it that an edge wouldn't have sustained nearly as much damage. 

• Like 1