Do you think Mike Rowe is right about US consumers?

Buying American made  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of Americans would pay 10% more for an American made product over a product made elsewhere?

• Less than 25%
    • 25% to 50%
    • 51% to 75%
    • More than 75%

I’ll bite. Our generation is quickly being pushed aside and generations younger have an entitlement personality that requires immediate fulfillment. I can’t lay all this at their feet because of the way we have enabled the younger generations. 

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

Low single digits at best.

All kinds of people would say they support it.  But peoples’ budgets are tight.  I just don’t think we’d see it at the cash register.

That’s not to say you can’t be successful as an American brand.  You certainly can.  But the quality has to be there - especially at a price premium. 

• Like 5

I have a complex way of buying things and to be completely honest country of origin plays little part in it. If it's an item I'm going to use a lot I buy the best. Single use item, the absolute cheapest I can get by with. Something I will likely own for a while, but not use, middle of the road. I'm seeing some items not even be available in a high quality version anymore. I would currently pay 3X what I'm paying for trailer wiring harnesses for a quality 100% copper harness. I can't find them.  The ones that claim to be are copper coated nickel, they are unusable after 2 years or so. Good ones aren't available, ultimately because of  people like me that were trying to save a buck. 

• Like 1

I just buy what I want/need. I very seldom give any thought to where it was made. I’d rather not buy crap made in China, but that would require a lot more effort than I’m willing to put in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I do care about where products are made and I would pay up to 25% more for quality products But they have to be better not junk     But America doesn’t produce a lot of products like we use to. China has a hold on the US market for about every item  and most people seem fine with it  When I need something And have a choice  I buy American from Americans.      When I have the option        support your own buy local  if Americans would demand this we could return to a self sufficient country 🇱🇷

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I just buy what I want/need. I very seldom give any thought to where it was made. I’d rather not buy crap made in China, but that would require a lot more effort than I’m willing to put in it.

I couldn't agree more. I actually do care, but not enough to even do the legwork, let alone pay more on purpose. I'm not proud of that, just being honest.

Hand tools are one example - it's easy to flip over the package and see where it's made.  Used to be, there were American made options that were more expensive but still affordable, but now it often comes down to China or sky-high American stuff.  Channellock tools are an exception, but some of their stuff is made in Taiwan.  Some tools in Lowes, Home Depot, etc are made in Taiwan.  I'll take Taiwan made vs. Chinese eight days a week.    

• Like 2

When the economy was genuinely better, more people probably would've spent a little extra for US made because they could afford to. Nowadays people's budgets are tighter than ever so they are ultimately price driven and country of origin isn't even a thought.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Hand tools are one example - it's easy to flip over the package and see where it's made.  Used to be, there were American made options that were more expensive but still affordable, but now it often comes down to China or sky-high American stuff.  Channellock tools are an exception, but some of their stuff is made in Taiwan.  Some tools in Lowes, Home Depot, etc are made in Taiwan.  I'll take Taiwan made vs. Chinese eight days a week.    

It’s getting harder to see with tools. Fluke says they’re made in the US but I’m pretty certain my meter is made in Malaysia. For channel locks I’ll give the Germans my money, knipex take a beating daily and are most comfortable in my hands. 

I think I’m on the side of BigK where I do care but it’s hard to do the legwork. And unfortunately if it’s a one off tool that I rarely use and need quick I’m going with the cheapest I can find until it breaks and needs replacement/upgrade. 

• Like 1

I like most of what Mike Rowe says. I do make an effort to buy American when it's possible and reasonable. I've been shopping for tires, I'll need 2 vehicle's worth this year and I intend to buy some made in the US.  Tirerack.com typically lists country of origin, though I'm not likely to buy from them. 

We also bought new washer/dryer a couple years ago and paid a little more for made in USA. 

$100 for jeans or a hoodie is pretty steep in my opinion.  Other stuff, a "made in USA" tag will influence my decision. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It’s getting harder to see with tools. Fluke says they’re made in the US but I’m pretty certain my meter is made in Malaysia. For channel locks I’ll give the Germans my money, knipex take a beating daily and are most comfortable in my hands. 

I think I’m on the side of BigK where I do care but it’s hard to do the legwork. And unfortunately if it’s a one off tool that I rarely use and need quick I’m going with the cheapest I can find until it breaks and needs replacement/upgrade. 

Channellock claims their pliers and screwdrivers are 100% American made, while they claim their sockets are made in Taiwan and wrenches are Spanish.  I assume they are telling the truth.  I started having problems with Craftsman pliers years ago (while they were still supposedly American made) and got a couple Channellocks.  I never looked back.  All their stuff is affordable (a bit more expensive than the cheap Chinese stuff, but way cheaper than Snap-On etc.).  I am no mechanic and use them for basic stuff (screwdrivers/sockets/pliers/wrenches), but they have held up well.  I think they fill the role of old-school Craftsman tools. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2

Is the item higher quality for the 10% more or is it the same crappy item from Cy-NA! just at a higher price? Not much difference in Ping-Ping sewing  a pair of pants  and Mary Sue sewing a pair of pants out of the same exact material. 

16 minutes ago, Spiffy said:

Is the item higher quality for the 10% more or is it the same crappy item from Cy-NA! just at a higher price? Not much difference in Ping-Ping sewing  a pair of pants  and Mary Sue sewing a pair of pants out of the same exact material. 

If it is the same quality (assuming both are decent quality), I'm still paying the 10% to help Mary Sue in TN have a job vs. some third grader in Zingzang Factory No. 38.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I wish I could say this wasn't me, but after going thru a period of trying to buy only US manufactured products...I have fallen in with the crowd.

Price and availability. Those are the keys. Case in point. The once All American Walmart has become a shill for imported goods. From clothing to foodstuffs. Almost all furniture and household goods are imported.

As has been said, it is so difficult these days to ignore the price on items we want. Inflation has taken a major toll on the "Buy American" movement. Not saying I won't attempt to do it, but even finding American-made products is getting to be difficult. I would prefer that wasn't the case, but seems to be just a sign of the times we are living in.

If you do label checks...and I still do...it's absolutely frightening just how much we import vs what we manufacture here any more. From basic consumer goods, to foods and medications, my layman's guess is that if we don't source 80%+ from outside the continental US, I'd be very surprised.

I generally try to buy American and will pay a couple of bucks more for it. But I have to admit, that sometimes the foreign made stuff is not only cheaper, but better. Manufacturing in America has fallen badly. Which is a sad state of affairs. 

I think its primarily because of the economy. People, especially younger couples, go shopping. They need this and that. But due to monetary issues, they can only afford this OR that. Not both. So naturally, they're going to go for the cheapest they can find. Doesn't matter to them where its made just as long as its affordable. 

It won't be war or political upheaval that destroys this country. It'll be a complete collapse of our economy. ☹️

I’m enjoying these answers while I think about a discussion in the benefactor lounge. I’ll maintain very few people are willing to pay pennies more for anything. I know we are talking about products, but all one has to do is look at the bellyaching anytime fuel or groceries go up. I believe the majority of Americans would balk at the idea of purchasing something at a 10% or higher price point, just to buy American, regardless of the product. 

People don’t want to pay 10% more put food in their mouths or gas into the  automobiles that take them to earn their livelihood.  I doubt they’re willing to pay a premium for anything else. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 2

Many companies have gone trying to fool shoppers with the tag that says Assembled in USA instead of Made in USA. Ford motor companies advertises their Trucks are assembled here and not made. I am one that will read labels to see where something is made. About 10 years ago when I was fishing a lot of Bass Tournaments I was looking to buy a new quality rain suit. I was at Bass Pro looking and I found a nice Goretex suit that I almost bought till I read  the label and it said Made in the Republic of Vietnam and I hung it back up. I did end up buying a suit and it was made in South Korea. I quit fishing about 2018 as my body was giving me issues but I still have that rain suit and still wear it if I go out in the rain and it still keeps me dry.

When I turned wrenches for an airline I used @10-Ring's buying philosophy.  If I brought a tool out of my box every three or four months, It was probably stamped Made in Taiwan.  If I used it every day, I bought the best I could afford, which was probably Snap-On or USA-made Craftsman.  Calibrated precision tools were provided by the employer.  

Being from Texas, the wife and I have a love for Gulf Coast brown shrimp.   Most of what you buy in the store here are from Indonesia, Chile or Vietnam.   We've had to make several costly trips to Alabama to buy off the boat from an American shrimper.  Publix now offers shrimp from Texas so that will save us considerably.  Funny thing is, a lot of the catch is probably by a Vietnamese-American crew.