Like new bologna

I cant believe how many times I come across something in here and somebody want top dollar for a firearm they own and claim its never been shot or only one magazine and I just find it hard to believe that nearly everyones weapons are not shot or LNIB. idk if this is wrong to post here or not excuse me if it is.

I am one who does not have a lot of trouble believing it. I just counted and I have 34 guns right now. About 2 thirds of them I bought new. I have shot 3 of them. I just like collecting them. I used to be a class 3 dealer back in the 80's and had dozens of machine guns. I played with so many full autos that I am no longer much interested in firing an ordinary firearm. On top of that there is no convenient place to shoot around here. Your situation may be different.

• Like 8

Some folks are shooters and some folks are collectors. I have no problem believing it. Stamp collectors don’t lick every stamp they gather.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 5
  • Haha 8
  • Thanks 1

I don’t have what Mr Ray has or I would be claiming single. I do have a brand new front to back BCM AR that hasn’t been fired. I think it is the best in class rifle and can’t bear to soil it. The others I have, I beat like they owe me money on mortgage day. Now that I am finally on my property and able to shoot out the back door in my underwear. Which IS normal!!! 
Anything is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. If you think it’s too high then you’re not interested. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just Good, Cheap entertainment. Prices for guns are all over the place. Some seem too expensive, some seem too cheap and some seem exactly as they should. In my 40 plus years of horse trading experience I’ve figured no matter what you know, sometimes you slip up and pay too much for a firearm or fall into a really good deal. A old friend of mine told me that you could never pay too much for a firearm, you could just buy it too soon. Many times I’ve paid too much only to find it’s worth twice what I had paid for it in just a few years. Best investment you can make. Better than money in a bank. 

• Like 4

Sounds like your issue has more to do with pricing than believing someone's weapon has/hasn't been fired. To the latter there's a lot of good people on TGO and when I deal with someone I take them at their word. If they lie then they run the risk of being outed at the point we make the deal. Same for me if im the seller. To the former you're going to have to learn to look laugh and move on.

Edited by FUJIMO
Added stuff
  • Like 9

I, too, have a number of arms in the safe that have been fired very little, and a few that haven't been fired at all. Like a lot of guys on here I just find it hard to resist adding one. But I tend to be a buyer, not a seller.

The guys that I've transacted with from TGO have all, without exception, been on the up-and-up, and I wouldn't hesitate to deal with any of them again. But of course it's always important to check out what you're buying and satisfy yourself that the deal is fair.

• Like 4

I'm in the same boat. Actually, there are some guns I buy that I'd prefer be fired, because I'd probably never shoot them-lol. Like if I think it might be collectable in the future.

A few years ago I bought a new CZ97B, and didnt shoot it right away. Now they are discontinued and scarce and I wont shoot it, figuring its worth more. Looking for a used one, but folks want more for a used one that I paid for a new one.

One thing I see often in a gun ad, but dont understand, is where folks will say the gun has been carried, but never fired. God bless you to trust that gun without ever shooting it. I like to do 400-500 rounds thru the gun first, with the last 100 or so being HP and some actual carry ammo. Which is why I dont change carry guns too often-lol.

Have only bought guns from TGO folks a few times, its mostly Armslist or E-Classifieds. But I gotta say, 99% of my transactions have gone smoothly and have met some great folks. And the guns are usually in the condition that they were described.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Gunlove5656 said:

I cant believe how many times I come across something in here and somebody want top dollar for a firearm they own and claim its never been shot or only one magazine and I just find it hard to believe that nearly everyones weapons are not shot or LNIB. idk if this is wrong to post here or not excuse me if it is.

When I first joined this site, I only owned a handful of guns, only what I needed and they'd all been fired a lot. I was a impressed to learn how many people on here had collections of firearms, not just necessities. I thought they must be millionaires, LOL. As I've come to realize time/age is a more of a factor to the size of the collection than wealth. I'm not wealthy by any stretch, but over the past 20+ years my collection has grown. I now see how easy it is to have unfired LNIB guns. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

It's somewhat romantic to think that you've acquired a virgin and desire to keep its honor intact but remember that the manufacturer's QC department busted the gun's cherry before it left the factory.  It may even give proof of it in a small envelope packaged with all the paper, locks and whatnots. 

I collect shooters that I hope will do their job if I do mine.  However, I respect a man's hopeful investment and do not judge him if he eventually trades his pristine prize away to other lustful cads such as myself.

• Haha 1

I personally put value on usage. Less usage to be exact. I look for newer less beat to hell guns without the fancy dodads that we all put on our stuff. The gun is for sale, not the pink grip and furred dice scope.Just because you have a scope that was sought after during the first depression doesn’t mean your 400 gun is worth 1400 now. That is me and I know others put fancy do dads on with the thinking it raises the value but those dodads are good for you and maybe not for a potential buyer. I’ve learned that the hard way with an AK that I have well over 5k in. People like what we like and don’t always want to pay for what you like. 
As others have said, some of the stuff here is priced comical. EVERYONE and exactly every single person I have dealt with have been good honest people. A few have become regular contacts in this world. Grain of salt buddy. 

• Like 2

Everything I own has been fired. I have two new-to-me that I have yet to get to the range, but they've been shot. Some guys are collectors of history or art when it comes to guns, no desire to shoot them. I believe it. Just like the reference to collector cars, some are bought for investment. If you bought a rare gold coin would you carry it in your pocket? As far as believing what is posted, I trust but verify. None of my dealings with TGO members gives me reason to distrust. If you don't trust the seller or believe the worth of the item, just move on.

@Tom B damn, shoot that thang! I'd love to get hold of a 97B! Had an EAA witness .45 years back, loved it and think the CZ might be better.

My one exception might be a vintage royal blue python, those are just SO pretty. But I don't have vintage Python money so the glass front velvet lined case will just be for someone else.

• Like 1

It’s not difficult to believe. Lots of guys on here have some serious collections. I don’t think it far fetched that most would be in like new condition. Despite differences that some of us my have, outside of my family and military buddies, these are some of the most honest people I’ve ever met.

I normally purchase new, moderately priced guns in pairs. I’ve sold and purchased several that are exactly as described. Some guns get a magazine or two through them, and some don’t. I have some expensive guns in the safe that I just wanted, and they’ve never had a magazine inside them. 

The most important thing I’ve learned about buying or selling on here is to be honest. A good reputation makes it easy to do both. In most cases, if the sale were local, I’d almost always throw in something (ammo or accessories) for free. 

Good luck with your future sales or purchases!

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

NIB doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I've recently had 3 unfired... it comes with the territory over time.

The more surprising part is the value that some folks attach to their stuff. Especially if it comes with the "custom" descriptor.

image.thumb.png.1e2399ece600331ea6b4657a4f8c3a04.png

Edited by NoBanStan
  • Haha 3

I don’t consider myself a collector at all, but I am surprised at what I’ve accumulated over-time. 

The reasons are varied and many, but I have several un-fired guns. Like @Links2k, I bought some in pairs. Or multiple guns at the same time with specific intentions, but life and priorities seem to have their own idea about my plans. 

maybe have at 20 right now I have yet to fire. A couple I bought more than 10 years ago. I never intended them to sit, but I never intended to get old and start losing my hair either. 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is one of those few times “baloney” would actually be correct. 

Now that the lesson is over, just because a gun is previously owned doesn’t mean it isn’t just as good as when it came home from the dealer. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

NIB doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I've recently had 3 unfired... it comes with the territory over time.

The more surprising part is the value that some folks attach to their stuff. Especially if it comes with the "custom" descriptor.

image.thumb.png.1e2399ece600331ea6b4657a4f8c3a04.png

Agree the custom descriptor make the difference How else would anyone know it’s a Glock with 12;000 dollars worth of accessories lol 

• Haha 2
32 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

Agree the custom descriptor make the difference How else would anyone know it’s a Glock with 12;000 dollars worth of accessories lol 

Well it started as a Glock 19 but now it's a carbon fiber M101 Howitzer

• Haha 3

While I don't buy and sell a lot on here I have always, seriously ALWAYS, had good experiences here at TGO. Generally the guns I purchase are in better shape than described in their listings. Folks tend to be modest in their descriptors and earnest in not wanting to mislead other members of our community.

I don't "Collect" and I shoot my guns. I had to replace the slide and barrel on my G19 a few months back...50K plus rounds over the years and it will probably outlast me at this point.

I have a good bud, with deep pockets, and he owns several new guns he's never shot...purchased strictly for collectible purposes. Others he shoots a few cylinders or mags through and puts back in his safes. 

So I have no difficulty believing some of the guns listed here are LNIB or even new.

Heck, I bought a couple of LCR's last year that you couldn't even see the turn lines on. Again, modest in description and I was more than pleased.

I too, do shake my head at the sometimes outlandish assortments of attachments and "upgrades" that could only possibly appeal to the person that stuck the assorted "accoutrements" together.

Hint: put the gun back towards it's original state and sell the other "stuff" separately...or not...

But I like my guns as near to factory original as possible. That gives me the option of screwing them up if I choose... 😉 

• Like 2

I've bought many guns on this forum that were unshot, or barely shot. Most of those came in their original box as well. Fact is, a lot of people buy guns on a whim and/or wind up never using a gun that they bought like they thought they would. Safes get crowded and what isn't being used has to get moved. There are a variety of reasons people move like new guns, but I've been buying guns on this forum for over a decade and have yet to have a bad interaction with an established member here and all purchases have been accurately described in the ad. 

• Like 1