Armadillo sightings

JAB

It's a shame cause congress passed a law making 350 million dollars go to teaching armadillos to use striped crosswalks instead of just running across the road. It's on page 14,368 of the obamacare act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 2
Guest TankerHC
I know people who eat them. Family down in east Texas. Went home on leave in 84 and was with my brother riding around spindletop in an old pickup. Saw the biggest armadillo I had seen to that point. One of the guys yells for my brother to get the armadillo. Chased it into a big drain pipe and caught it. Handed it to the guy in the front of the truck. He carried the live armadillo around in his lap for half a day. I finally asked him his plans for it and he told me "Armadillo stew". Note that this particular individual is a proud coonass. (And that's what he calls himself) Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2 Edited by TankerHC
So, here's my Armadillo story:

Several years ago, I lived in Florida on a couple of acres. Armadillos were constantly tearing-up my yard.

One day, when I came home from church, one was rooting around in my front yard near the street. He was not bothered at all when I turned into my driveway and drove past him (could have been a "her", I guess). My home was set-back about 50 yards from the street.

I drove down the driveway, grabbed my pellet gun in the garage, and snuck back towards the critter, keeping a bunch of palmettos between us so he wouldn't see me. Now, for some reason that I can't explain, I only loaded one pellet in the gun. Anyway, I got close enough, and popped it with the pellet; thereby causing the armadillo to run into the middle of the palmettos, and just stand there.

So, I proceeded to go back to my garage, and load another pellet in my gun. Again, I don't know why I only loaded one pellet - but I did. I snuck back to the palmettos, and he was still just standing there. He let me get within a couple of feet, and I was able to get a good head shot.

Then, the most bizarre thing occurred, the armadillo ran onto my driveway, jumped about two feet in-the-air, and then landed on this side; got on his feet, and repeated the process over-and-over - jumping, "splatting", and jumping.

I then proceeded back to my garage once again, only this time I exchanged my pellet gun for my aluminum softball bat. When I got back to the armadillo, he was still jumping and splatting in the exact same spot. I then took a stance like I was getting ready to take batting practice, timed my swing for the top of his jump, and gave him my best shot.

I then found out that well-struck armadillos don't go "near as far" as well-struck softballs. Despite nearly breaking my wrists, and after a few more whacks, I was finally successful at eliminating one more "roto-rooter" from my yard. Edited by Beretta Bob
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, here's my Armadillo story:

Several years ago, I lived in Florida on a couple of acres. Armadillos were constantly tearing-up my yard.

One day, when I came home from church, one was rooting around in my front yard near the street. He was not bothered at all when I turned into my driveway and drove past him (could have been a "her", I guess). My home was set-back about 50 yards from the street.

I drove down the driveway, grabbed my pellet gun in the garage, and snuck back towards the critter, keeping a bunch of palmettos between us so he wouldn't see me. Now, for some reason that I can't explain, I only loaded one pellet in the gun. Anyway, I got close enough, and popped it with the pellet; thereby causing the armadillo to run into the middle of the palmettos, and just stand there.

So, I proceeded to go back to my garage, and load another pellet in my gun. Again, I don't know why I only loaded one pellet - but I did. I snuck back to the palmettos, and he was still just standing there. He let me get within a couple of feet, and I was able to get a good head shot.

Then, the most bizarre thing occurred, the armadillo ran onto my driveway, jumped about two feet in-the-air, and then landed on this side; got on his feet, and repeated the process over-and-over - jumping, "splatting", and jumping.

I then proceeded back to my garage once again, only this time I exchanged my pellet gun for my aluminum softball bat. When I got back to the armadillo, he was still jumping and splatting in the exact same spot. I then took a stance like I was getting ready to take batting practice, timed my swing for the top of his jump, and gave him my best shot.

I then found out that well-struck armadillos don't go "near as far" as well-struck softballs. Despite nearly breaking my wrists, and after a few more whacks, I was finally successful at eliminating one more "roto-rooter" from my yard.

Beretta Bob, all of my pellet guns will only allow one pellet to be loaded! Don't know of any pellet gun that loads more than a single shot. Enjoyed the armadillo story... bet the video would have been better!

• 1 year later...

Last week I saw at least three dead ones on Nashville roads, mostly the interstates, and all in one day. They were all sprawled out on their backs. First time I've ever seen them whole, and not splattered across the road.

Since thread started, have now seen one in middle of 'Nooga, dead on side of East Brainerd Road.

Still haven't seen any around Knox.

- OS

So I lived in Sarasota FL for 10 months back in 1998. I'd see them every day.

In the 3.75 years I've lived outside Orlando I've one seen them a handful of times. Maybe they all moved to TN?

Since thread started, have now seen one in middle of 'Nooga, dead on side of East Brainerd Road.

Still haven't seen any around Knox.

- OS

They might be following the fire ants. Saw my first fire ant hill in Knox Co this year. I guess the armadillos wont be far behind.