Has Harley Davidson made a mistake?

While they might have some success with this new model, I think they've made a marketing mistake.    I'm not a Harley rider but don't see this would have much appeal to what I think most Harley riders are looking for in a motorcycle.   

What say yee?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6F8O5A__Ds[/media]

• Like 1
I agree. I don't believe the "typical/stereotypical" Harley person will take to this. But..

I do see this as an attempt by HD to get into another market. And if the bike performs as well as the short video clip infers; I'd think it would appeal to quite a few people.

A quieter, less ecologically unfriendly bike surely would draw a lot of attention these days.

JMO
  • Like 2

I agree. I don't believe the "typical/stereotypical" Harley person will take to this. But..

I do see this as an attempt by HD to get into another market. And if the bike performs as well as the short video clip infers; I'd think it would appeal to quite a few people.

A quieter, less ecologically unfriendly bike surely would draw a lot of attention these days.

JMO

I'm not a rider, but it might a niche market. BTW Uncle Sam is looking for electric bikes for some special people.. 

While they might have some success with this new model, I think they've made a marketing mistake.    I'm not a Harley rider but don't see this would have much appeal to what I think most Harley riders are looking for in a motorcycle.   

What say yee?

There are a lot of HD riders looking to be seen on an expensive bike the louder the better it's all about the attention, I feel HD will always make bikes to cater to that crowd. Then there are those who just enjoy the experience of being on 2 wheels and want to be able to ride whenever they can for as long as they can. That second group is FAR more accepting of new tech if it extends the ride from what I've seen, they were the first I saw shell out $$$ for daymakers(LED headlights), the first to welcome fuel injection coming to HD bikes, and will likely be the first to really embrace an electric HD bike and put some real miles on it.

Harley has been around a long time and has made many adjustments to their path, the livewire isn't ending their current lineup only joining it eventually if there is enough interest. It's no different then them adjusting to real or perceived market desires during any other time period in their history.

2718970310_59b5c3054f_z.jpg

2719036442_b0d9c92e35_z.jpg

2718166275_421ba7bf2b_z.jpg

2719023030_206e06fa98_z.jpg

2718098949_e1c06cbee1_z.jpg

2718249409_d6fef7e91e_z.jpg

2718237503_172c17b3b2_z.jpg

• Like 2

There are a lot of HD riders looking to be seen on an expensive bike the louder the better it's all about the attention, I feel HD will always make bikes to cater to that crowd. Then there are those who just enjoy the experience of being on 2 wheels and want to be able to ride whenever they can for as long as they can. That second group is FAR more accepting of new tech if it extends the ride from what I've seen, they were the first I saw shell out $$$ for daymakers(LED headlights), the first to welcome fuel injection coming to HD bikes, and will likely be the first to really embrace an electric HD bike and put some real miles on it.

Harley has been around a long time and has made many adjustments to their path, the livewire isn't ending their current lineup only joining it eventually if there is enough interest. It's no different then them adjusting to real or perceived market desires during any other time period in their history.

2718970310_59b5c3054f_z.jpg

2719036442_b0d9c92e35_z.jpg

2718166275_421ba7bf2b_z.jpg

2719023030_206e06fa98_z.jpg

2718098949_e1c06cbee1_z.jpg

2718249409_d6fef7e91e_z.jpg

2718237503_172c17b3b2_z.jpg

Thanks for stating it better than I did.

Having just bought a new Harley (my first) a couple of months ago I looked at a lot of different bikes.  I personally think this has the potential to do just fine and in fact I like the looks of it.  Like me, there are plenty of people out there who aren't what I could consider "hardcore" Harley people or even hard core bikers for that matter, but there is something still, even to this day about owning a Harley.  Some could care less, and that's ok, but having had other bikes before this, I have to say I have a bigger sense of pride riding this bike than I did the others.  Maybe it is vanity, I won't say it isn't, but it has been different.

There are some who love a motorcycle for just that, any two wheels that they can get on and ride.  I am somewhere in between.  I like to ride, but I wouldn't call it a passion.  It is a hobby.  Does that make me less of a "Biker" or Harley guy, maybe, but what it shows is that there are those of us with disposable income willing to buy something we like, not that we have to have.  I suspect there will be some who maybe don't feel comfortable with the larger Harley bikes and want something a bit more modern and I think this fits that bill.  I don't think any hardcore biker, no matter the brand, is clamoring for an electric bike.  But, the guy who wants something different to ride around on or to and from work, I think it looks pretty cool.

Only time will tell, but if Honda had come out with this, I think there would be many calling them the leader in the market.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 3

This looks like a publicity move to me. There's no way this bike fits the existing Harley Davidson culture.  Honda, yes, it would work for them.

That was the point I was trying to make (and obviously didn't).  I believe the Harley culture is changing significantly.  It isn't just a bunch of rough and tumble bikers anymore.  It's professionals, doctors, lawyers, and just the normal guy next door.  Yes, the hardcore guys still exist, but these aren't the guys Harley is targeting.

Price will dictate a lot, but I see a lot of young adults under 30 which this may appeal to. 

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

This looks like a publicity move to me. There's no way this bike fits the existing Harley Davidson culture.  Honda, yes, it would work for them.

So in your opinion was the V-rod "just a publicity stunt", or a way to gain new market share previously untouched by HD?

So in your opinion was the V-rod "just a publicity stunt", or a way to gain new market share previously untouched by HD?

And that liquid-cooled heresy has been in production for what, 15 years now?

It's weird, but HD is keeping up with the times.  The V-twin isn't going anywhere for the purists.

Edited by Garufa

Holy crap HD just went from 60 year old technology to cutting line technology!  I have nothing against Harleys, it's the majority of the people that ride them that get on my nerves.  It's the whole "I'm being an individual, but I'm going to wear the same gay looking pirate leather costume as all the other individuals" mentality.  Harley Davidson has become nothing more than a lifestyle of what is best described in the motorcycling communtiy as RUBs, that's "Rich Urban Bikers" they never ride anything that has more than 5,000 miles or is more than 3 years old.  Consequently they can't tell you about the last trip they took out west that the bike didn't ride the majoity of miles on a trailer.  The trip to Alaska, or South America, because the majority of HD riders can onl tell you about the beer and barbecue joints within 50 miles of their house.  I'm not bitter, I just ride a 23 year old Honda ST1100, it's ugly, it's dependable, and I ride the crap out of it, don't care what anyone else thinks.

• Like 6

Meh.  Marketing stunt, nothing more.  Obviously their typical customer base will have no interest in it.  The dedicated (and well heeled) few will buy one because it says "HD" on it.  They need something to general some interest after booting Buell. 

this is the only way for them to go.  it they want to have any future as a company they will go this way.  the v-rod was one way they had to go to stay ahead of the ever changing government and epa regs.  look at the water cool motor on the new tour bikes.   they got to meet the epa rules and the old motors don't make it.   

• Like 1

Lights and turn markers look terrible. Fix that and I would think about buying one. Otherwise, I will just look at suzuki, honda or yamaha. Get a damn good  cruiser for half the price of a harley. I like harleys. but the price just doesnt warrant me buying just a name.

• Like 1
[quote name="frankmako" post="1160547" timestamp="1403211171"]this is the only way for them to go. it they want to have any future as a company they will go this way. the v-rod was one way they had to go to stay ahead of the ever changing government and epa regs. look at the water cool motor on the new tour bikes. they got to meet the epa rules and the old motors don't make it. [/quote] I agree with this. The emission requirements have become so strict that gasoline engines have to run leaner and leaner. This generates more heat. That air cooled engines just won't cut the emissions anymore. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
  • Like 1

I agree with this. The emission requirements have become so strict that gasoline engines have to run leaner and leaner. This generates more heat. That air cooled engines just won't cut the emissions anymore. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

Agreed.  For now, we can get by with aftermarket head pipes to get rid of the catalytic converer which creates so much heat and tune them to run richer and cooler.  Once we have to start passing emissions on a yearly basis, then it will really be an issue.  Or we will just put the stock header and pipes back on for the trip to emissions and then swap them back.  It would be a pain, but a lot would do it.  

Apparently they've hired some new PR folks, most likely some young kids out of college that's been taught......well no need to go there.

Something else related is the their new water cooled jap-copy of a  750. What's next a Harley scooter?

Excuse me but an American company as old as HD who has used Jap parts for years BTW is now making a Yamaha Bolt copy made in Bawal, India of all places. And now an electric bike to satisfy all the tree huggers and it's most likely made somewhere else besides the USA like India.

Obviously I dislike of HD.

Back on topic, there's one of many reasons why I ride and one is to hear and feel a powertrain on two wheels underneath me. Electric bikes, like scooters do nothing for me and the same goes for straight pipes with a poser wearing $500 worth of HD apparel.

• Like 1
It bugs me that there will be some HD fans actually care if they make a bike different than the one they own. I know more than one desk jockey who drives a BMW on weekdays, but owns a $20K 1500cc HD that they keep in a rental storage shed until it's time to ride it 10 miles down to the nearest Hooter's on Saturday afternoon. They look down their noses as it is at "wannabes" who only have Sportsters. I can only imagine what they'll think of this new bike. I say rock on with your bad self HD and good job trying to appeal to more people. There's a reason why McDonald's sells burgers AND salads AND chicken....they're smart!