One Point Lesson, Spent Cartridges & Kids

runco

Went shooting ARs 2 weeks ago, left some spent cartridges in the side x side.  This morning my 6 year old took a spent cartridge to school.   Thankfully the bus driver was a eagle eye, and the deadly spent cartridge never made it to campus.  My son had no idea this was suspension infraction.  Whew.........................

• Like 1

There are many teachers and staff including the Principle and SRO have whistles that I make from 5.56 brass. As a matter of fact most teachers use said whistle to call the kids in from recess. I hear them being blown as I sit in line to pick up my boy. Our school is cool. :)

• Like 2

Yes.

Absolutely. And it's still a crime in DC, unless one of the court decisions there have changed that.

Quick story about the "logic" of stuff: years ago I was walking out of a Wally with bunch of 9mm, bag broke right there in entrance way and a hundred box spilled all over the place. One woman pointed and literately screamed, "BULLETS!", people were backing back out of the door, couple of employees come out, general whatnot ensued,  I kid you not.

- OS

• Like 5
  • Moderators

My cousin did get suspended for this very thing. I think he was in 6-8th grade. I think it was probably a .22lr but I'm not sure. He had been shooting with my Grandpa and decided a few shell casings would make a really cool thing to impress people with at school.

2 to 3 day suspension if I recall correctly. One of the many nails in the coffin that confirmed to me that administrators at schools are literally the most overeducated, power seeking, narcissistic people to ever walk the planet. This of course is a blanket statement, but from my experience (I graduated high school in 2009), this is true for the majority of them. My apologies to anyone level headed here at TGO who this could be directed at; My suspicions are that any school administrator that participates in TGO is light years above the average.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Absolutely. And it's still a crime in DC, unless one of the court decisions there have changed that.

Quick story about the "logic" of stuff: years ago I was walking out of a Wally with bunch of 9mm, bag broke right there in entrance way and a hundred box spilled all over the place. One woman pointed and literately screamed, "BULLETS!", people were backing back out of the door, couple of employees come out, general whatnot ensued,  I kid you not.

- OS

Well, from the way the media and politicians portray it, you had enough time to load each and every one of the rounds into a firearm and shoot every living soul in the store before the first empty casing bounced around on the floor after being fired.

Had you been malicious, that woman would have been responsible for savings every living soul in the store, except of course for the other two people that she gave a heart attack to by screaming "BULLETS!".

We need to get the stupid out of school administration ASAP to have any hopes of children making it on their own.  At this rate, no child will be prepared to leave home until they're eligible to receive some type of government assistance.

• Like 1

That's asinine, I could perhaps see some reasoning in not allowing kids to have live ammunition at school but shell casings?  They are completely harmless.  I think when I was in school back in the 90's it would have probably been confiscated and the student sent back to class.  And we all had inert ammo key chains.  Of course those of you old enough to remember when it was okay to leave your deer rifle or shortgun in your gun rack at school really had it made plus you guys never even shot a school up.

• Like 2

First day back this year I found a 5.56 blank case lying on my classroom floor.  The local LEO's had performed a hostage/shooting scenario a few days earlier in the school, something they do most years.  I think it's still sitting on a shelf in the classroom, the only real reaction was me chiding the SRO for being negligent in policing up all the spent brass ...

Edited by No_0ne

- OS

How many were you able to recover?  Inquiring minds want to know.  :pleased:

Quick story about the "logic" of stuff: years ago I was walking out of a Wally with bunch of 9mm, bag broke right there in entrance way and a hundred box spilled all over the place. One woman pointed and literately screamed, "BULLETS!", people were backing back out of the door, couple of employees come out, general whatnot ensued, I kid you not.

- OS

thats funny as heck,but today, theyd jump on you and try to pummel the ammo buyer into next year....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, its either this or smoke signals!

Quick story about the "logic" of stuff: years ago I was walking out of a Wally with bunch of 9mm, bag broke right there in entrance way and a hundred box spilled all over the place. One woman pointed and literately screamed, "BULLETS!", people were backing back out of the door, couple of employees come out, general whatnot ensued, I kid you not.

- OS

Ignorance is the enemy of truth and good sense. This is universal, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it a suspendible infraction? Are our schools really that idiotic?

This is why my son is in private school.  Two years ago he went on a field trip and at the end all of the kids went to the gift shop to buy over priced junk.  He bought a pocket knife and then just about every other little boy in the class bought one too.    What did the teachers about this?  They make them keep them in their pockets until they got home.

• Like 1

There are many teachers and staff including the Principle and SRO have whistles that I make from 5.56 brass. As a matter of fact most teachers use said whistle to call the kids in from recess. I hear them being blown as I sit in line to pick up my boy. Our school is cool. :)

Interesting -- can you post a picture?

I got the idea off instructables here http://www.instructables.com/id/223-Survival-Whistle/ . I have since improved that a bit. I have been using leadless solder and JB Welding the 22LR into the 5.56 case neck. I did away with the lanyard part and drilled the primer and JB Welded a cotter key in.

This is the basic flow of how I have made them, and the last is I have been playing around with acid etching them.

[URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/buck1032/media/TGO/IMG_20131025_085233_094.jpg.html]IMG_20131025_085233_094.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/buck1032/media/TGO/IMG_20140829_143924_062.jpg.html]IMG_20140829_143924_062.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/buck1032/media/TGO/IMG_20150824_141007_867.jpg.html]IMG_20150824_141007_867.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/buck1032/media/TGO/IMG_20150905_182950_045.jpg.html]IMG_20150905_182950_045.jpg[/URL]

• Like 5

Went shooting ARs 2 weeks ago, left some spent cartridges in the side x side.  This morning my 6 year old took a spent cartridge to school.   Thankfully the bus driver was a eagle eye, and the deadly spent cartridge never made it to campus.  My son had no idea this was suspension infraction.  Whew.........................

So I guess I shouldn't wear my home made key chain of the spent 30-06 cartridge with a hole drilled in it for the ring, and the 150 grain bullet glued back into the empty casing with the primer fired with my truck keys attached if I ever picked someone up at school? And it's attached to a caribener that clips on my belt loop.

So I guess I shouldn't wear my home made key chain of the spent 30-06 cartridge with a hole drilled in it for the ring, and the 150 grain bullet glued back into the empty casing with the primer fired with my truck keys attached if I ever picked someone up at school? And it's attached to a caribener that clips on my belt loop.

Probably not because many schools have taken it upon themselves to control parents as well. Don't play by their rules and you could easily be put in time out or arrested.

Sent using wizardry.