What's your EDD?

22 minutes ago, JeffL said:

2013 Lexus GX 460. I work from home so it doesn't see a lot of miles. That GX 550 do be looking sexy though.

You'd look great in that Lexus GX 550, oh and let me know if you want to sell that 460.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, DHF said:

You'd look great in that Lexus GX 550, oh and let me know if you want to sell that 460.

Might be a while, I need someone to drive the 550 for a few years so I can afford it.

• Like 2

2021 Subaru Forester

The first car I ever bought was a 1970 FF1 Subaru. My dad had the exact same car. My 2021 Forester will be the last car I ever buy. My wife bought the exact same Forester only white. 

Edited by glock55
  • Like 1

I've been a pick-up man for most of my life. I still have my 2003 F-150 Super cab, but its semi-retired due to poor gas mileage. I keep it around for when I need to haul stuff.

My current EDD is a 2011 Ford Escape. Nice little SUV and it gets 20+ mpg. 😉

Ngzej4j.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've been a pick-up man for most of my life. I still have my 2003 F-150 Super cab, but its semi-retired due to poor gas mileage. I keep it around for when I need to haul stuff.

My current EDD is a 2011 Ford Escape. Nice little SUV and it gets 20+ mpg. 😉

Ngzej4j.jpg

I had a 2011 Escape I bought in 2014 from CarMax.  One of the best vehicles I ever owned. Absolutely great car.  Not sure why, but I bought something newer and gave this to the wife who got it totaled in an accident.

2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. Other than a low payload rating and the inability to pass a gas station I really like it. With the price of newer vehicles I'll probably drive it for at least 20 years. I drive 9 miles each way to work so the gas bill isn't too bad. 

• Like 2

2023 GX460, traded in the '18 F150 FX4 before I started having issues with the F150.  Still needed something to tow the boat with, and '23 was the last year for the reportedly bulletproof GX 460 with V8.  I'm retired as well, so it sits out in the garage a lot.  Not much difference in MPG's between the two, just the amount of "junk" I can carry at anyone time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jpx2rk said:

2023 GX460, traded in the '18 F150 FX4 before I started having issues with the F150.  Still needed something to tow the boat with, and '23 was the last year for the reportedly bulletproof GX 460 with V8.  I'm retired as well, so it sits out in the garage a lot.  Not much difference in MPG's between the two, just the amount of "junk" I can carry at anyone time.

What was wrong with the Ford if you don’t mind me asking?

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

What was wrong with the Ford if you don’t mind me asking?

The F150's with the Ecoboost 3.5TT engine has a couple design defects (various forum speculation) with the cam phasers, they will make a soft clicking/knocking noise similar to lifters on a cold start.  Sound goes away within 30 seconds, but it only gets worse with time and louder, and the engine has so many safety checks, the engine can go into limp mode when you least need/expect it.  The 10 speed is the adaptive electronic version, so computer controlled, and subject to brain farts, rough shifts, abrupt downshifts, and just crapping the bed at times.  Mine  had almost 63K on the clock, and the engine was just starting to make the noises associated with cam phasers.  The tranny was ok, but it would act up at times, especially when I would go from interstate speeds down to city driving, and it would shift abruptly/harsh.   The electronic controlled tranny would need a tear down to replace defective parts with the improved defective parts.  FMC has NOT come up with a solid fix for either of these issues.

Both repairs are expensive, and parts are still hard to come by, so I could have been without a vehicle for 30 days or more while in the shop.  I had an extended warranty that would have covered these repairs at zero $$ out of pocket for me, but I can't/didn't want to deal with those issues, so I got a good trade in value for the F150 and moved on.   I also got a 75% refund on the ext'd warranty because I had not used it at all.  

The GX460 has an excellent rating for reliability, AND the sticker on the GX was lower than a new 2023 F150 XLT FX4 that was very similar to the one I had.  The new 2023 F150's have the same issues with the 3.5 TT engines, so I saw no reason to get another F150.  Even the optional 2.7 EB and the 5.0 V8 engines have issues as do the new 10 sp trannys.  The GX has several features that the new F150 would not, like LED headlights, auto-dimming headlights, rear heated seats, front parking sensors, etc., which are all standard on the GX but not on the F150 unless you go with the Lariat or higher optioned vehicles, and even higher sticker prices.

I prefer to think I got rid of a couple potential problems while upgrading and downsizing vehicles. I can still tow my boat safely, the GX is easier to park at the grocery store, rides/handles better, basically the same MPG, fits in the garage much easier, insurance went up $200/yr and it's easier to get in/out of for this old fart.   I also got 2.5% financing under their promotion, and debate whether to pay it off, or let it ride.  I'm making more than 2.5%, so it depends on whether I get tired of watching/monitoring the ACH payments process every month.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

2002 4Runner.  Have about 225k on it now and I’ll admit there have been a few issues…Toyotas are not as perfect as many claim, but I love it.

Definitely not perfect, but better than most.  The Taco recently sprang a big leak.  $2k later I had a new rack and pinion and a new power steering pump.  It is 17 years old though.  

• Like 2

I'm also in the no car payment club. 

I still have my 2002 Tundra. 191k miles. Last year we drove it from Knoxville to to the Grand Canyon and back. Planning on going to Moab, UT this year. 

My wife's DD is a 2012 RAV4 we bought new and have no plans to get rid of. In 12 years the only repair I've had to make on it is a upper radiator hose. 

Screenshot_20240218-075757.png

Screenshot_20240218-080007~2.png

• Like 5
11 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Definitely not perfect, but better than most.  The Taco recently sprang a big leak.  $2k later I had a new rack and pinion and a new power steering pump.  It is 17 years old though.  

I'm still on my original 22 year old rack and pinion but I'm about to replace the inner tie rods. Last year I replaced the 21 year old alternator that was still working fine as preventative maintenance. I didn't want to get stranded in a remote spot while camping. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I still have my 2002 Tundra. 191k miles. Last year we drove it from Knoxville to to the Grand Canyon and back. Planning on going to Moab, UT this year. 

My wife's DD is a 2012 RAV4 we bought new and have no plans to get rid of. In 12 years the only repair I've had to make on it is a upper radiator hose. 

Screenshot_20240218-075757.png

Screenshot_20240218-080007~2.png

My 27 year OLD son took his 2017 Taco TRD to Moab two summers ago-- he had an "Epic blast!" 

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer with 180k. My wife has a 2006 Toyota Sienna with 260k.  Both have had some issues.

My older boy turns 16 next week.... 

I'd like to get my wife something newer, let the boy drive the blazer and I'll drive the van until it falls apart. It would be nice to get something with better gas mileage for my 70 mile daily round trip but the math just doesn't work with used car prices in the stratosphere. 

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

We were until 2023 hit us.  I had shoulder surgery, we moved, and two weeks after we signed the contract, my wife totaled her 2013 4Runner.  She got a 2023 RAV4.  I was way up in MO a couple weeks before the power steering snafu.  I suppose I could have made it home, but I decided that my 17 year old truck was about to become a local only vehicle.  I bought a 2022 4Runner, but still mostly drive the Tacoma.  2023 was expensive.  My daughter is about to start driving and may inherit the Tacoma. 

• Like 2

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4x2 that was my EDD till I moved here and got a chauffeur and now the Jeep has been parked  90% of the time. I drive it 1 or 2 times a month to keep everything loose and working and I go top off the gas tank and it performs perfect with 186,000 miles on it. Tommy (SIL) has company truck and he drives it all the time and the company pays all expenses so if we go anyplace it is in the company truck.

• Like 1