Steelharp

MacGyver

• Admin Team

Mike played Reagan’s inauguration back in the day. He toured with Tammy Wynette for years - but the list of musicians he worked with was ridiculous.

Here was his short list: Alabama, Rodney Atkins, John Berry, Clint Black, Ace Cannon, Paulette Carlson, Mark Chestnutt, Earl Thomas Conley, Bobbie Cryner, Dixiana, Vern Gosdin, Faith Hill, George Jones, Frankie Lane, Johnnie Lee, Loretta Lynn, Ronnie McDowell, Lorrie Morgan, Wayne Newton, Ray Price, Bonnie Raitt, Eddy Raven, Linda Ronstadt, Johnny Russell, Dan Seals, Doug Stone, Mel Tillis, Pam Tillis, Randy Travis, Conway Twitty, Billy Walker, Keith Whitley, John & Audrey Wiggins, Maurice Williams, Chely Wright, Tammy Wynette

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 3
18 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Mike played Reagan’s inauguration back in the day. He toured with Tammy Wynette for years - but the list of musicians he worked with was ridiculous.

Here was his short list: Alabama, Rodney Atkins, John Berry, Clint Black, Ace Cannon, Paulette Carlson, Mark Chestnutt, Earl Thomas Conley, Bobbie Cryner, Dixiana, Vern Gosdin, Faith Hill, George Jones, Frankie Lane, Johnnie Lee, Loretta Lynn, Ronnie McDowell, Lorrie Morgan, Wayne Newton, Ray Price, Bonnie Raitt, Eddy Raven, Linda Ronstadt, Johnny Russell, Dan Seals, Doug Stone, Mel Tillis, Pam Tillis, Randy Travis, Conway Twitty, Billy Walker, Keith Whitley, John & Audrey Wiggins, Maurice Williams, Chely Wright, Tammy Wynette

And this is just a few. Mike told me once that the (recording) session work he did put him in contact with the biggest names in the music world, in all types.

Now if you knew Mike, you know this wasn't bragging; he didn't seem to like talking about who he knew or worked with just to name drop. Those were just people he worked with. Just any other day or job to him. Playing and making music. That's all Mike wanted, at least outside of his family.

Everything he did was for his family. That always came thru in conversation. You just felt and could see the love he had in his life for them.

He was a dedicated musician and family man.

One who was blessed enough to make his passion his life's work. We should all be so lucky.

I'm sure others here knew him better than I did, and are hurt just as deeply by his passing. But I must say that meeting Michael Douchette was a joy.

I can say without any reservation that meeting Michael was one of the biggest and best parts of my time in our TGO family.

He shone in whatever context you would meet him in. You simply could not help but like the man.

He made that impossible.

Goodbye my friend. May you have eternal peace and joy playing with that Heavenly Band that needed a great steel guitar player.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Admin Team
9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I just saw on his profile he was only 65. That's way too soon. 

@MacGyver I thought his wife had been released from the hospital. Is that not the case?

She had been released. We’re letting a lot of folks go home right now who we’d keep in normal times.

These aren’t normal times.

I’m prayerful for her. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Mike use to come by my house when I lived in Gallatin and he was working at Sumner Gun and Supply. He knew I was a guy that liked Bersa's and if they got a special one in on trade he would always stop in and tell me that it was put back until I could get up to see if I wanted it. I got 3 of my Bersa's from Sumner because of him with my favorite being a 40 Caliber I had been looking for. He was a very good friend. His wife and family are in my prayers and will be every night. Rest in Peace my dear friend as you are surely being missed by many!!!!

Bersaguy

• Like 5

Man this sucks Mikey was a great guy first time I met him in person was at Bill's Eastside shop too.  I hadn't talked to him in awhile but this made me tear up.  He will definitely be missed.  This is an awful reminder that people need to take this seriously and do whatever they can to prevent spreading it.  Its not fair that he is gone way too soon.  

• Like 4

What a great guy. Met him to for the first time at Bill’s Eastside Gun Shop. 

Im sorry to hear this. He had a love of his family, music and the gun community. But especially his Marine, his Son. I was a 1SG in the Army those days and we always chatted about him. 

May he Rest In Peace. Huge loss to us here. 

Edited by R1100R
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

It breaks my heart to read his messages here about being ill and scared and to now know he didn’t make it is truly saddening. I met Mike a few times in person and always enjoyed hearing his stories of the music industry. RIP my dear friend my prayers are with his family now 

• Like 2

A lot of us are getting up in age faster than we realized.  It's a shame that we sometimes don't realize how fortunate we are to have folks like Steelharp among us until it's too late.

He's gone home just in time to be part of the Christmas Band!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Though I have never met him, the tight group of folks in that area speak volumes to what a loss this is. Its tragic when good folks go to soon. Rest Peacefully SteelHarp.

Great videos  posted. All of a sudden that screen makes sense. What a talent.

Edited by Erich