Moped

Owning a Compact Version and a Full Size Version of the Same Pistol

How many of you have different versions of the same pistol? For example, I have a FNH FNS9 that I really like and I was thinking about picking up a FNS9C for CC. So I could have both versions. Do any of you do that or am I an oddball.

• Like 1

I cant say if you're an oddball or not, but you definitely would not be alone in doing that. I have or have had variants accross a number of brands, Sig, Beretta, Glock CZ, various 1911's, S&W's....and I am sure others that are not coming right to me.

If you like a particular gun it seems logical do get a version more suited to a particular use if its offered.

• Like 1

Own a Glock 34, 17, 19, and 43. So pretty much same gun except the 43 is obviously a little different. I say go for it.

• Like 1

That is like asking this group “do you own more than one pistol?”

get the 9c !

• Like 1

Just turned 3 years with the FNS9 being my only carry. I'm in the boat of no. You lose 1.8oz, 0.4" in the barrel and 0.3" in height. It's not ground breaking enough for me. If you have the means ($) go for it. In terms of gaining anything carry wise, I don't see it.

My next move will be a single stack M&P Shield, Springfield XD-S, etc type direction.

Edited by jhc77
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

Just turned 3 years with the FNS9 being my only carry. I'm in the boat of no. You lose 1.8oz, 0.4" in the barrel and 0.3" in height. It's not ground breaking enough for me. If you have the means ($) go for it. In terms of gaining anything carry wise, I don't see it.

My next move will be a single stack M&P Shield, Springfield XD-S, etc type direction.

I actually have a XDs in .45acp that I really like. Thought about getting a service model of it, but of course there is not trading out mags between the two.

• Like 1

I have full-size M&P, M&P 2.0 Compact, plus M&P Shield (Shield not exactly a different version of the M&P since it won't share mags with the full-size).  Also have VP9 and VP9SK.   When the long-slide VP9 comes out later this year, I'm going to give it a hard look too.

Cheers,
Whisper

I tend to do it...I have a Shield  in 9mm, .380 EZ and a Bodyguard .380.  Have a CZ P-09. PO-7 and a P-01.

CZ series, in order of acquisition

75B variant

P01 variant

RAMI 2075 P - soon to be sent to CGW.

Mag compatibility is a plus, though the RAMI struggles with 16 / 18 round mags.

• Like 1

mag compatibility is a big plus....a lot of times there isn't enough difference in the guns for me to justify it but up until I make this trade I have a USP 45c and a USP tactical 45.  I don't hate the idea of it but sometimes I like to spend the money elsewhere just to try something new.

• Like 1

I own several sizes and configurations of the venerable 1911.

Same for the Smith and Wesson hand ejector revolver.

1 hour ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

mag compatibility is a big plus....a lot of times there isn't enough difference in the guns for me to justify it but up until I make this trade I have a USP 45c and a USP tactical 45.  I don't hate the idea of it but sometimes I like to spend the money elsewhere just to try something new.

also in the case of my USP compact and USP 45 tactical I have 2 mags for the tactical but 6 (!!!) for the compact...it was a package I bought on gunbroker came with the suppressor barrel, and a holster too....so in my case I don't have any extra mags for the tactical just really long additional ones for the compact...definitely not well planned lol.

The 1911 shelf in my safe has barrels from 3" to 6" in size.

1 hour ago, tnhawk said:

The 1911 shelf in my safe has barrels from 3" to 6" in size.

extra barrels makes more sense than multiple guns at least!

Glock 17, 19 and 26. All my reload mags are for the 17 since it they'll run in any of the guns. Looks a little weird on the 26, but I didn't buy a Glock for the looks.

• Like 2

Glock 26, GLock 19 and just to fill out the sizes KelTec Sub 2000 that takes Glock mags

Well lemme see.... :rolleyes:

1911s : Government models, Commanders, Ultra compact, lightweights and long slides in multiple calibers. 

Hi-Powers: Browning MK III, FEG PKJ-9HP  and just added the FM Detective version. 

Don't even get me started on the wheelguns.  :eek:  Many frame sizes, calibers and barrel lengths. Many examples of the same model in various barrel lengths from 2 to 6 inches. These could go on forever. ;)

• Like 2