school shooting in Nashville at the Covenant School

FUJIMO

16 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

As this is an undoubtedly "watched" site I wouldn't type anything that could/would come back to bite me.

And with that being said morning alphabets 🖕😁🖕

It more about what the School is publicly saying on certain topics. I don’t want to “officially” (as the spouse of a member of the leadership team) release information that they are not yet officially commenting on. 

• Like 8
19 hours ago, Snaveba said:

I know. I don’t recall how old Adam Lanza was.  But Aubrey had been gone from the school for close to 18 years. Her brother did go there from pre-k through 6th, but still that’s a long way to reach back. 

Adam Lanza was 20 years old when he did the shooting at Sandy Hook which was a school he had also attended years earlier. He shot and killed his mother before going to the school.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RED333 said:

Just a gut feeling, LEO is holding out the release because of the "reason" she used to do what she did. What the reason was, now just a WAG, the resent laws passed against drag shows and protection kids. Now a judge has over ridden the law.

Might need to look into that judges background!!!!  See what he does in his spare time.

There has been discussions about what schools parents can send their children to and the scant funding that public schools receive to operate. Of course most parents would like to send their children to a good school and feel safe about their choice. TCS is located in one of the more upscale neighborhoods being Green Hills but it didn't really matter last Monday.  If it would not have been a former student from there I don't think the school would have been targeted....IMO

Folks...

There has been lotsa opining on this tragedy.  An undeniable  tragedy on lotsa levels. 

The sadness of children murdered.  The sadness of folks of good will being murdered because they simply worked at this school.  The tragedy of someone so young and so full of rage and hate that they thought shooting innocents and folks who were doing good  was a laudable idea.  There is simply no end to this tragedy.  Folks are horrified, deeply saddened, scared  and repulsed by this atrocious and senseless act.  

That said, there have been lotsa partial solutions advanced... School hardening, armed and trained resource officers, improved mental health screening, etc.   The list goes on. 

All these solutions have their place, but I think all of these " governmental " and " societal " solutions overlook the root problem. 

That is the problem of " evil ".  You cannot attend to this problem of senseless murder of others by not confronting the issue of evil people doing evil things.  The fact of the matter is that there is no gubt solution to evil other than eradicating the perpetrators.   

We want to believe that if we somehow get the right mix of protections, that this problem will go away somehow.  It will not go away because of the problem of " evil ".  Murder, mayhem, and killing has always been around.  It's present in every society. 

Our society has magnified this problem because we are so balkanized, hedonistic, and devoid of the ethics of how we should treat our brothers and sisters, that many are all about themselves and have no inclination to be accommodating or kind to others with which theys disagree.  Put another way; only those who are in lock step agreement are brothers, and those who disagree with us are not worthy even of life.  It is my fervent belief that this is the root of the problem; and as long as there are enablers, apostles, and cheerleaders for this madness; these senseless, evil calamities will not go away.  That said, in our society " freedom of speech " enables them to continue.

I do, however, believe they can be minimized to a great extent if we take the steps to physically protect children in the classroom using dedicated, trained, and able personnel who will not hesitate to use deadly force to defend these innocents.  The solution is not more laws or gubt regulations.   The solution is to make potential malefactors count the cost of doing these things as a deterrent; and to eliminate the perpetrators when the need arises.

In closing, I've tried to keep this little epistle on the secular plane, but it is undeniable that this issue touches the spiritual plane. 

The " God-Man " said that " you should love your brother as yourself "... This is the ultimate solution, but we live in a fallen world.  Since we live in this " fallen world ", we need to clearly see that there are evil beings bent on doing evil things, and we need to be ready as both Believers and Non Believers to take decisive action to protect these most precious in our society.

May this sort of tragedy never happen again.

leroy...

Edited by leroy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 10
On 4/1/2023 at 2:04 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

Not sure why it's ridiculous, both of my kids went to private catholic school up to the 8th grade, I paid my tax's and didn't get squat in return.

Because you chose the parochial education for your kids.  That's your prerogative.  I'm open to vouchers for kids who couldn't afford tuition to a place like TCS, but this is giving money to a community that doesn't need it.  At TCS, tuition for their largest attendance group (K-4) is $16.300 per their website; it's clearly not appropriate for the government to give them the same levels of support public schools get when they have parents with means supporting their institution.

Believe me, I'll be happy if private schools source private security.  This isn't me thinking those kids don't deserve the protection, it's me thinking tax payments shouldn't cover it. The parents chose to remove their children to a supposedly better educational experience...the cost burden they assume doesn't stop at tuition and fees. 

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 5
51 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Because you chose the parochial education for your kids.  That's your prerogative.  I'm open to vouchers for kids who couldn't afford tuition to a place like TCS, but this is giving money to a community that doesn't need it.  At TCS, tuition for their largest attendance group (K-4) is $16.300 per their website; it's clearly not appropriate for the government to give them the same levels of support public schools get when they have parents with means supporting their institution.

Believe me, I'll be happy if private schools source private security.  This isn't me thinking those kids don't deserve the protection, it's me thinking tax payments shouldn't cover it. The parents chose to remove their children to a supposedly better educational experience...the cost burden they assume doesn't stop at tuition and fees. 

So shouldn’t those parents get back any taxes they paid?   Why not if so?  

And I despise when people say someone doesn’t “need” the money.  Who are you or anyone else to decide?   They may work 3 jobs so they can send their kids there.  Need has nothing to do with it.  Again, provide equal money to every kid and let the parents decide.  That is fair, no?  

Heck, we spend (waste) more money per kid than just about any other nation on school.  The fair share should be more than enough for any kid to find a good education if their parents gave a damn.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

And I despise when people say someone doesn’t “need” the money.  Who are you or anyone else to decide?   They may work 3 jobs so they can send their kids there.  Need has nothing to do with it.  Again, provide equal money to every kid and let the parents decide.  That is fair, no?  

I am a proponent of total school choice, where the money follows the child, and not tied to a specific geographical district.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, leroy said:

Our society has magnified this problem because we are so balkanized, hedonistic, and devoid of the ethics of how we should treat our brothers and sisters, that many are all about themselves and have no inclination to be accommodating or kind to others with which theys disagree.  Put another way; only those who are in lock step agreement are brothers, and those who disagree with us are not worthy even of life.  It is my fervent belief that this is the root of the problem; and as long as there are enablers, apostles, and cheerleaders for this madness; these senseless, evil calamities will not go away.  That said, in our society " freedom of speech " enables them to continue.

Leroy, this is one of the most meaningful statements I have ever read on TGO.  I certainly do not feel I am "evil", but if I entertain thoughts that someone is "less" than myself because we do not agree about ANYTHING  and as  a result I begin to view them "less than", I am sowing the seeds that nurtured over time, may become evil.  If we really believe that we are made in the image of God, all persons have intrinsic worth.  There have been times on TGO when some have felt I was a "libetard whack job", but I have always been accorded respect and care even when we disagree.  That is how at its most base level we "obstruct evil."

At the very baseline of relationships, can we offer grace rather than judgment of one another?

Martin Buber wrote a book called "I and Thou" and denoted there are two kinds of relationships.  An "I/Thou" relationship is one where we view one another without judgment or qualification.  An "I/It" relationship is where we view one another as a "thing."

I vote for "I/Thou" . . .

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 4
2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

My property taxes pay for more than just schools right? Roads, street lights, parks. I have no plans to have children and I've never felt I'm getting screwed because of that. 

Private schools are a for profit business as far as I know. Thinking that tax payers should fund their security needs doesn't make any sense to me. When movie theaters decide to have security they pay an off duty cop to be there. I'm not sure why a private school should be any different 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 4
19 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

My property taxes pay for more than just schools right? Roads, street lights, parks. I have no plans to have children and I've never felt I'm getting screwed because of that. 

Private schools are a for profit business as as I know. Thinking that tax payers should fund their security needs doesn't make any sense to me. When movie theaters decide to have security they pay an off duty cop to be there. I'm not sure why a private school should be any different 

I would think that the parents of kids in private school pay just as much in taxes as the rest of us. I want their children protected just like ours. They are already helping pay for our kids education even though their kids do not use it.

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, Eray said:

I would think that the parents of kids in private school pay just as much in taxes as the rest of us. I want their children protected just like ours. They are already helping pay for our kids education even though their kids do not use it.

You do have a point.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Eray said:

My wife and I paid lots of tuition for our kids education while also paying taxes like most everyone else. The education was a choice, the taxes weren’t. Security was paid for by the schools. I’d like to see it remain that way. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I am a proponent of total school choice, where the money follows the child, and not tied to a specific geographical district.

That really is a great idea. An idea that I had never heard. Of course things are always way more complicated than it needs to be but this seems like a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
11 hours ago, Snaveba said:

It more about what the School is publicly saying on certain topics. I don’t want to “officially” (as the spouse of a member of the leadership team) release information that they are not yet officially commenting on. 

You're doing the right thing.  100%.  Hold that line!  You've got our support on that.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Luckyforward said:

Leroy, this is one of the most meaningful statements I have ever read on TGO.  I certainly do not feel I am "evil", but if I entertain thoughts that someone is "less" than myself because we do not agree about ANYTHING  and as  a result I begin to view them "less than", I am sowing the seeds that nurtured over time, may become evil.  If we really believe that we are made in the image of God, all persons have intrinsic worth.  There have been times on TGO when some have felt I was a "libetard whack job", but I have always been accorded respect and care even when we disagree.  That is how at its most base level we "obstruct evil."

At the very baseline of relationships, can we offer grace rather than judgment of one another?

Martin Buber wrote a book called "I and Thou" and denoted there are two kinds of relationships.  An "I/Thou" relationship is one where we view one another without judgment or qualification.  An "I/It" relationship is where we view one another as a "thing."

I vote for "I/Thou" . . .

Lucky...

I am humbled by your kindness. I know you, me,  and many others are hoping for the day when this madness ceases.

leroy.

• Thanks 1

If a school hires private security they need the same immunity to prosecution as the police are given or else the government should provide the security.  I don't want the private security concerned about liability when there is an incident on premises. 

12 hours ago, Eray said:

On average parents of kids in private school probably pay far more in taxes than the rest of us. So your comment about them helping pay for our kids education is very true. 

Property tax is just like income tax. The least affluent use the most services and pay the least in taxes. The most well-off pay the most in taxes and use the least gov't services.

• Like 3

It stinks to think about having armed guards at a school... it really does.

Now let's face facts. it HAS to happen.

We have armed guards at sporting events, bars, churches, federal buildings, conventions, airports, etc. Why would school be any different? Any place with large gatherings of people have it, but NOT our most vulnerable group? It makes no sense.

Society can scream and bark all day long about how banning guns is the answer and yet they'll NEVER accomplish that. But putting one or two trained individuals on site absolutely can be accomplished (pretty quick I would imagine). Recognizing also that it will be the most boring job on the planet 99.999999999999% of the time.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

Recognizing also that it will be the most boring job on the planet 99.999999999999% of the time.

Not necessarily. At the high schools, SROs are busy all the time. A lot more goes on for them to deal with than the very rare active shooter. I suspect middle school is the same. Some kids at that middle school age are simply awful humans.

There's less going on for an SRO at elementary, but there's a lot more opportunity for positive interaction with the students to hopefully make them a little less awful in middle school. 😄

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Just now, monkeylizard said:

Not necessarily. At the high schools, SROs are busy all the time. A lot more goes on for them to deal with than the very rare active shooter. I suspect middle school is the same. Most kids at that age are simply awful humans.

There's less going on for an SRO at elementary, but there's a lot more opportunity for positive interaction with the students to hopefully make them a little less awful in middle school. 😄

Fair, i was looking at it from the perspective of "didn't have to fend off an attacker today" over and over and over.

You're right, middle school and high school is when the hormones start flowing and the kids are full of piss and vinegar. They really are awful humans. 🤣

• Like 3

I would love to see less money spent at the district level anyway. There's too many bureaucrats with multiple secretaries and too many layers of bureaucrats in general as it is. If we thin out some of that excess fat, we could afford more security without cutting the budget where it matters...in the classroom.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Private schools are a for profit business as far as I know. Thinking that tax payers should fund their security needs doesn't make any sense to me. When movie theaters decide to have security they pay an off duty cop to be there. I'm not sure why a private school should be any different 

Back when my 2 boys were school age and had attended a public school through the 4th grade I looked at putting them in a private school. It would have stretched my budget but I left the final decision to my boys. They chose the public school because they had many friends in the public school so public school it was. I didn't want them to go to a school they did not like. Both of my sons were on the Honor Roll every year and they loved their school. I have no regrets.

• Like 1