If this wont make you buy a Toyota..

I want their diesel engines. Every japanese company has amazing diesels that. will not meet "US emission standards"

The Toyota diesel is in the United States its called a HINO they think a diesel pick up will not sell in the small to mid size market I use to be a certified master tech for a company called Unaflow Diesel (UD) it was part of Nissan they did not build there own engine the used a Toyota/Hino they are tuff little engines as long as they have oil in them and the power steering pump does not go out it is on the back of the engine and driven off the timing gears in the time i worked on them saw two engine failures guess what they were did not sell well in the United States now AB Volvo owns them sell all over the world but not here Edited by raildog

After owning Fords, Dodges, and Chevys I'll never own another after owning a Toyota as long as I don't need a truck to pull a very large load.  Can't say enough good about my Toyota, super smooth ride, pulls pretty decent, and though I don't do any extreme off roading it has never left me wanting more in the terms off off road capabilities with my Michelin M+S2 tires.  It has been a champ in the mud to get me to hunting spots and has been unstoppable in the snow.  140K and drives like it's new.

Back in 2008, Toyota was on the brink of bringing to market a 3/4 ton diesel Tundra.  Then the great recession hit, and they pulled the plug.  I heard recently that may be back on the radar screen again. 

I work in the OEM industry mainly japanese, and the company I work for has major chassis components.  I worked on the project 7 years ago. 

I have driven a Ford F250 Diesel (7.3) now for 13 years that I bought new in 2002.  If Toyota does bring this idea to market, I will buy one.  Otherwise I will buy another Ford diesel in about another 5-7 years from now.

The Toyota Hilux is about as close to indestructible as a pickup truck can get.  I'd see them everywhere while OCONUS.  It might be too small for those of you who like your big trucks, but it would be perfect for my needs.  With the Toyota Tacoma getting bigger (and pricier), and the Ford Ranger no longer in production, I'd love to see the Hilux come to America before it's time for me to get a new vehicle.

Edited by btq96r
My daily driver for a long time was my 79 Bronco. A mini tank. All time 4 wheel drive and the girl had oomph! Her only downfall was she wasn't super reliable. Finally I jut faced facts that she would have to be a leisure vehicle so I went car shopping. I got a Sequoia. I love it, rides great, everything about it is good. Except I made a HUGE mistake and didn't get one with 4wd. I can never leave concrete in it and in rain she is just so so. That's the only bad thing I can say about her. If I ever trade her in, which I am heavily considering, I will look at 4wd versions and just "upgrade".

But having said that, the Bronco has had the engine and tranny rebuilt so I am really ready to give LaToya a break for a while.
  • Like 1

My daily driver for a long time was my 79 Bronco. A mini tank. All time 4 wheel drive and the girl had oomph! Her only downfall was she wasn't super reliable. Finally I jut faced facts that she would have to be a leisure vehicle so I went car shopping. I got a Sequoia. I love it, rides great, everything about it is good. Except I made a HUGE mistake and didn't get one with 4wd. I can never leave concrete in it and in rain she is just so so. That's the only bad thing I can say about her. If I ever trade her in, which I am heavily considering, I will look at 4wd versions and just "upgrade".

But having said that, the Bronco has had the engine and tranny rebuilt so I am really ready to give LaToya a break for a while.

I had a '79 Bronco and it was indeed a tank.  Mine had a 400ci V8 and did not lack for power.  Some red neck had welded up the rear end but it would go places in 2wd that my newer F150 would have to put into 4wd to get.  I took the top off the day that I got it and put it back on the day I sold it.  Couldn't of imagined having to have it as a daily driver it was a rough ride and loud.  Even though, it was unstoppable!  This is the only remaining picture I have of it.  It needed to go when it did, it was never anything but a toy, but I do miss it sometimes. 

189758_506571529958_6782_n_zpsg0eqnb2h.j

If toyota could bring their sister company Hino into America, domestic manufacturers of trucks would have NOTHING to offer. Toyota limiting factor is the absence of heavy trucks. Hino build 1,2 & 5 ton trucks. Maybe bigger, I dunno.

I've said for years, if toyota would build a 1ton deisel dually, they'd take a HUGE chunk of the truck market.

The Toyota diesel is in the United States its called a HINO they think a diesel pick up will not sell in the small to mid size market I use to be a certified master tech for a company called Unaflow Diesel (UD) it was part of Nissan they did not build there own engine the used a Toyota/Hino they are tuff little engines as long as they have oil in them and the power steering pump does not go out it is on the back of the engine and driven off the timing gears in the time i worked on them saw two engine failures guess what they were did not sell well in the United States now AB Volvo owns them sell all over the world but not here

You win the run-on sentence of the day contest! :)

• Like 2

If toyota could bring their sister company Hino into America, domestic manufacturers of trucks would have NOTHING to offer. Toyota limiting factor is the absence of heavy trucks. Hino build 1,2 & 5 ton trucks. Maybe bigger, I dunno.

I've said for years, if toyota would build a 1ton deisel dually, they'd take a HUGE chunk of the truck market.

American manufacturers would have nothing on it but people would continue to buy the American trucks, even if they cost three times as much.  These people will undoubtedly be quick to tell you how proud they are of there "American" vehicle and how it will out perform that "Jap crap" even though it won't.  The American trucks will also not be as dependable as their Japanese counterparts.  Ironically Toyota is amongst the "most American" made trucks on the road, meaning that they source more of their parts from America than other companies, Ford rivals them on this but Dodge and Chevy aren't even close. 

• Like 3

As most of you know, Consumer Reports does reports every year that show the brands with the highest levels of reliability and the highest level of brand loyalty. Oddly enough, the least reliable vehicles often have the highest customer loyalty. Not sure what is wrong with people's brains that make them desire vehicles that they won't be able to drive, but I am a Japanese guy through and through. In my garage/driveway you will find a Toyota, a Honda, a Yamaha motorcycle, and a Honda motorcycle. I've done the "fix a car more than you drive it" thing the last time I bought American. Sorry, but I'd rather drive a vehicle than fix it. YMMV. 

• Like 2