Close Call

Almost lost my daughter this morning.  She left early this morning to head to a friends house in Cookeville.  In between exits 238 and 239 on I 40 there was a Ford super duty with an empty 35' car hauler on the side of the road.  The lights on the trailer were not working and the rear corner of the trailer was on the white line.  She was planning on getting off at exit 239 and getting a drink at the truck stop.  She had cruise control set and never saw the trailer.  She clipped it at 72 mph.  It peeled open the side of the car and sent her spinning and she ended up in the ditch in front of the truck.  She was really lucky to not have any serious injuries.  The worst injury is what the seat belt did to her chest and neck.  She has a seatbelt shaped abrasion and bruise from her neck to her ribs.  Her right arm and leg look like they have had 100's of shots from all the glass that she got pelted with from the window exploding.  She really did get lucky. No broken bones or lacerations.  Just 100's of scratches and the nasty seatbelt injury.

Technology is pretty cool.  iPhones can detect crashes ands will call 911 if you do not respond to the alarms going off on your phone.  As she was getting her senses back she kept hearing an alarm and then finally a woman's voice saying Hello, Hello can you hear me, Is anybody there.  She was able to find her phone and the dispatcher got police and ems on the way.  They were there within a couple of minutes.  Another thing the iPhone does is if it is in a crash and calls 911 it will send a message to any contact that is listed as ICE - In Case of Emergency.  I got up a little after 4am this morning to use the bathroom.  I glanced at my phone and saw this text from Apple   "Crash Detected SOS  Caitlin Tallent called emergency services from this approximate location after iPhone detected a crash. You’re receiving this message because Caitlin has listed you as an emergency contact."  Then it also sent a map with a pin showing the exact location of the crash.  She was confused why I was texting her asking if she was ok even before she had talked to the cops.  That is a pretty cool feature.

Now for the pics of the aftermath:

IMG-0507.jpg

IMG-0508.jpg

IMG-6840.jpg

• Wow 15

As an old EMT I can tell you that the hand of god was on her. Walking away from that is a miracle. So glad she wasn’t seriously injured. May be time for me to get a new IPhone. 

• Like 3

Oh man! That’ll get a dad’s blood pumping! It’s a miracle no one hit her afterward. 

I-40 is a dangerous place! I made a good portion of my living working on I-40 through the years. I could tell you stories you probably wouldn’t believe.

Thank God she’s ok!!!

• Like 1

The Good Lord was quite obviously with your daughter, and you. Thank you Lord.

As Mac and others have said, the modern engineering is remarkable!

I've been on the ER receiving end of many, many MVA's or MVC's over the past decades. Automobiles are safer now than they've ever been...but God's hand was evident here!

Seat belt injuries can be pretty severe, both superficial and internal. I'm sure your daughter was thoroughly examined/scanned. I Pray for a speedy recovery for her.

I can't, as a father, imagined how difficult this was for you and the family as well.

I didn't know this about the I-phone's capabilities. That's pretty incredible.

Prayers for you all KahrMan.

Edited by Jamie Jackson
spelling...
  • Like 1

Greetings to you Mr KahrMan,

Please convey my respect and compliments to your daughter on her fine and outstanding survival event. Clearly, this young lady has been touched and protected by the hand of “THE ONE TRUE LIVING GOD” himself. Praise be to Him for His grace and mercy. 
I am sure, that somewhere, there is a more destructed/demolished automobile but I seriously doubt it. That she, basically, could literally “walk away” from such a crash speaks volumes. 
I am thoroughly and completely impressed .

Follow Me   (aka Col C, Infantry, retired)

BTW, she should buy a Lottery ticket NOW, TODAY.

• Like 1

Being a Dad who has been on the receiving end of a call from my daughter crying after a terrible accident, I feel your pain. Glad she is ok. That other driver better be lucky she is fine. I would think the law would be his last worry if not. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator

GOODNESS!!!

Bill, I have nothing to add that the others haven't already said, but it is clear the God has a purpose for her yet in this life.

And hooray for whoever at Apple came up with the idea to build "crash detection" into the iPhone.  WOW.

• Like 2

First off, glad she is ok. 

For as much as we complain about technology having too great of impact on our lives, there are times it redeems itself.   Being involved in dispatch systems for 20+ years it's amazing the things that are available and that truly make a difference in response times.

I am so glad no one was in that passenger seat.  

Things like this force us to appreciate the little things a bit more.  Glad it all worked out ok.

• Like 4